Charlie Watts RIP

stlukesguild

Charlie Watts, the self-effacing and unshakeable Rolling Stones drummer who helped anchor one of rock’s greatest rhythm sections and used his “day job” to support his enduring love of jazz, has died, according to his publicist. He was 80. :cry:

Bernard Doherty said Tuesday that Watts “passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family.”

“Charlie was a cherished husband, father and grandfather and also as a member of The Rolling Stones one of the greatest drummers of his generation.

800.jpg

Watts’ speed, power and time keeping were never better showcased than during the concert documentary, “Shine a Light,” when director Martin Scorsese filmed “Jumpin’ Jack Flash” from where he drummed toward the back of the stage.

One of my favorite anecdotes concerning Watts involved a blow-up between him and frontman, Mich Jagger. While being interviewed, a journalist had asked the group about the possibility of their ever breaking up. In response to Watts' reply, Mick stated, "Why should it matter to you? You're just the drummer." Watts was quietly fuming when he returned to his hotel room. Later that night, Jagger drunkenly called Watts and yelled, "Where's my drummer?!" Charlie calmly showered, shaved, and put on a stylish suit." He then went down to the room where Jagger and Keith Richards were at. When Jagger opened the door, Watts clocked him good, turned and went back to his room.

charlie-watts-2016.jpg

“Every band I’d ever been in had lasted a week,” he said. “I always thought the Stones would last a week, then a fortnight, and then suddenly, it’s 30 years.”

It lasted nearly 60 years for Watts.

RIP :cry:

Add one more.

Dusty Hill, one-third of ZZ Top for the last 51 years, was revealed Wednesday to have died of indeterminate causes. On Thursday, remaining members Billy Gibbons announced that the tour they just began would resume Friday after a brief lull, with their guitar tech of three decades filling in.

RIP
I had heard of Dusty Hill, and I agree with Snoball, among others,
Battiato also died a couple of months ago, he was probably the best Italian singer-songwriter alive.

Musicians get old and die just like everybody else. But their recorded music lives on.

Charlie Watts was indeed more interested in jazz than rock. He really did consider the Stones to be his day gig.

I should mention that I forgot the last pertinent bit of that anecdote. After decking Jagger, Charlie shouted, "I'm not your drummer! Don't ever call me your drummer again. You're my fucking singer!"

THE-RAKE-CHARLIE-WATTS-GettyImages-85512236.jpg

With only Jagger and Richards remaining from the original line-up of the Rolling Stones, one has to wonder if they will continue as a group.

They won't, as long as they can still play to sellout crowds. If Roger and Pete can do without Moon and Entwistle (especially Moon), Mick and Keith can do without Charlie, as they have already done for a long time without Bill Wyman.

Well... the Stones are a band heavily influenced by the Blues and also Country music... and many Blues and Country performers continued (and still continue) well into their 80s and 90s. Think of B.B. King, Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc...

The big time rock business is driven by money, not sentiment. It costs a fortune to promote and put on a tour with a band as big as the Stones. The question is whether they can function with another drummer. They almost certainly can, just as the Who is functioning with Zack Starkey. I think the Stones will still sell out the seats without Charlie, long as they can come up with another great drummer, and there are so many great drummers out there now, shouldn't be a problem. The only indispensable, irreplaceable members are Mick and Keith.

Yup, the front people are the most important elements to 99% of the audience. As a drummer, I liked it that way.

Add one more.

Dusty Hill, one-third of ZZ Top for the last 51 years, was revealed Wednesday to have died of indeterminate causes. On Thursday, remaining members Billy Gibbons announced that the tour they just began would resume Friday after a brief lull, with their guitar tech of three decades filling in.

Dusty and Billy had an onstage chemistry that only their own music came close to matching.

Last edited:
Back