Cat Drawing

PaintBoss

Contributing Member
I thought I’d share this drawing I did 30 years ago for my sister when she lost her beloved cat.
This is pencil and a lot of smudging. Not sure of paper.
The photo is pretty lousy because it was taken by a cheap camera years ago that was film before digital. Light never turned out right and the drawing was gone before I got the photos back from being developed to see the results. Old school.😉
Since I’m unable to do a lot of art right now, I thought maybe it would be nice to share older work.
85C3429E-4D83-470F-9FFB-B3E8632C9547.jpeg

What a beautiful, sensitively drawn portrait. I’m glad you’ll be sharing more of your older work.

Wow! That is a GREAT drawing! Not only do I wish I could draw that well 30 years go, I wish I could do that now! :ROFLMAO:

Hi, thanks. That’s very sweet. My husband has been kicking me for years for not doing more with my art. Believe it or not my confidence was just shattered at art school because we had a very powerful tenured professor who was extremely abusive. To all. He never truly went at me or my work, but I just lost all my confidence. But at the time, I was also struggling with a lot of depression and abusive family parents, and trying to do everything on my own. So i was quite vulnerable. Then I had ongoing depression for years before they could figure out what would help and that just took any spark away. I just couldn’t produce anything. So I don’t have a lot of artwork. I was doing sporadic portrait commissions, but of course they are all long gone. I took a community art class about 10 years ago in my city through a gallery and they said I should be showing work. And I was starting to do more as I had more confidence and my depression was treated. And then I started to get sick with all this other business. How the heck Van Gogh got so much does is remarkable suffering as he did. For inspiration I now think of Frida Kahlo in bed doing her art.

I'm so sorry you have gone through so much. You are a survivor, and you are strong. I see it in your work and your words. I feel it. Don't beat yourself up about how much work you're producing. (I should take my own advice, too), because it takes as long as it takes, and you have to make your art in your own time. That's just the way it is. You are dealing with a lot. I know what you're going through, and sometimes we need to give ourselves a lot more self-compassion than we do. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Thank you so very much for your kind words.
Your words are very true. I realize now that my life is not so much about my art, but everything else in between. And art is a solace and also a way to share my experience of living.

PaintBoss, your cat drawing is wonderful! 😊 What I find often is that even if we don't paint/draw every day, we do art unconsciously all the time, we see things around us, we go to museums .. and then when we pick up the brush .. things start to happen. 👍

That is so very true. I will be drawing something with mind as I study it in public -memorizing everything. At least I try to. Thanks so much. I did it years ago for my sister.

Back