Bryant Park Fountain

Joan T

On Saturday I took an outdoor workshop on Painting with Acrylic Inks. I've never tried them before and handling them outside on location was a challenge. Luckily we had tables to help juggle all our supplies. The instructor, Missy Dunaway works with the inks straight from the bottle by dipping her brush right in the bottle. She doesn't use a palette and mixes right on her paper. I worked with the bottles but also a small palette that I could mix on. I had mostly primary colors so they were a bit bright and I had an additional bottle of white. We started with big blocks of color. I should have thought to take photos of the stages...but I didn't. Then we broke up the large blocks into smaller details. There were 15 of us working in the same area of Bryant Park in NYC. I focused on the fountain.
1002 Bryant Park Fountain.jpeg

Last edited:
I love Acrylic inks... they are best to handle detail specially in absorbent surfaces as paper.... I use them all the time :). You can dilute them a bit in water and work as watercolors, or leave them straight from the jar. Most of them are transparent, so you may need to do several layers to achieve deep tones...

Now I want a set of acrylic inks. I've never tried them. I absolutely love the blends in this. ♥️ Really wondering piece.

It looks like you had a good day! This is lovely, I love those colours.

It would have been so much fun to see progress photos of the approach you took with this one, Joan. I hope you have time to try that in the future. Your skill with watercolour definitely shows through in your handling of the acrylic inks. I know you also work well with watercolour and white gouache, so if you continue with the inks I'll be really interested to see how develop your style.

It would have been so much fun to see progress photos of the approach you took with this one, Joan. I hope you have time to try that in the future. Your skill with watercolour definitely shows through in your handling of the acrylic inks. I know you also work well with watercolour and white gouache, so if you continue with the inks I'll be really interested to see how develop your style.
I always forget to take photos as I'm doing something. I should do that especially if I'm doing something new to me so I can refer back to it. Maybe this old brain will remember the next time I try it. I know in the past I had done some demos on WetCanvas and took photos along the way. It was fun to look back at things that way.

I always forget to take photos as I'm doing something. I should do that especially if I'm doing something new to me so I can refer back to it. Maybe this old brain will remember the next time I try it. I know in the past I had done some demos on WetCanvas and took photos along the way. It was fun to look back at things that way.
Take pictures at the site like Ai often does. You have the subject and your art work.

Yay!!! I found you, and they let me in, and this is my first post...

And your painting is so lovely - can’t believe it’s the first time you’ve used acrylic inks - so good to see you and Joe and Ai and Joe1 and Triss here on this thread - been sooooooo long lol ☀️

I’ve only used acrylic inks for coloring scratchboards. You’ve made a very pretty painting with them.❤️❤️

Lovely first acrylic ink. You may have inspired me to grt mine out. It has been a long time.

Thanks everyone! Yes, the acrylic inks are really vibrant. I just have to get used to the fact that they are different from watercolors. I need to do some more paintings with them to get the real feel of using them. I'm afraid that like my gouache paints they will sit on the side forgotten for too long.

Back