Brush Process

Mississippi Hippie

17338CCD-B2C1-4A97-BD17-2E2B3C9450DB.jpeg

Don’t be an asshole it’s my 1st attempt at concept art!

Omg I feel bad for swearing :(
I guess I was nervous.. this isn’t normally my thing I just didn’t know how to express this on canvas.. well it taught me how to in a way.. now I don’t know what to do wit the thing! No way I can keep it in the house!

We can swear here, don't worry.

This probably smells. I wouldn't keep it in the house. :ROFLMAO: (That's not me trying to be a dick. I'm being a realist.) And it's not the most aesthetic thing I've ever seen, but it is what it is. What were you trying to say with it?

We can swear here, don't worry.

This probably smells. I wouldn't keep it in the house. :ROFLMAO: (That's not me trying to be a dick. I'm being a realist.) And it's not the most aesthetic thing I've ever seen, but it is what it is. What were you trying to say with it?
i was also trying to say things... just.... i guess i went with a to literal process titling the art... and it does not smell because the room is a glass room with the windows open and there is a fan.. what else.. i was trying to show liter in oceans.. trying to show something that had function that decayed to art. it was used as a turtle pond for the turtle i own to dig in the sand.. than an ash tray.. then something to paint on.. finally i placed brushes in it to show that as a painter i use lots of brushes, i guess? or a moderate amount, maybe. some of the material is liquid (obviously) there is not human excrement in it.. but someone spitup in it.. and the turtles soiled buckets were used... antibiotic is in it.. paint from 3 weeks has dried on the sand and curdled in the liquid.. and spray paint was applied when the sand was dry... drips were used to as interest.. hmmmm 3 brushes were used... noramlly i used 2-4 brushes a painting.. and use 2-4 cigarettes a day.. theres meaning in it to me.. and something about it needing to be tossed provides meaning - to me, and perhaps the viewer...

Ah, now I can see it's a meaningful thing. That's good fodder for working in conceptual art I think. I have not done too much in this genre really. Maybe a little bit, but really not much, but it does inspire me to look more into it. Thanks for that! I myself am trying to quit the smokes. I keep quitting and coming back to it because of stress, so this made me think of that. Stress, and guilt. I wanted to know what it meant to you. Do you know about Fluxus art? I think you'd like that movement.

Ah, now I can see it's a meaningful thing. That's good fodder for working in conceptual art I think. I have not done too much in this genre really. Maybe a little bit, but really not much, but it does inspire me to look more into it. Thanks for that! I myself am trying to quit the smokes. I keep quitting and coming back to it because of stress, so this made me think of that. Stress, and guilt. I wanted to know what it meant to you. Do you know about Fluxus art? I think you'd like that movement.
no i do not know what fluxus art might be. a quick google search should help in enlightening me. i use vapes all day, why i do not smoke more than 4. i used to smoke very much more.

Is mail art associated with Fluxus?
Yes, in a lot of ways the two sort of met each other. There's a wonderful movie called How to Draw a Bunny about Ray Johnson who was considered a Fluxus artist and he did a lot of mail art as well. He did these things called "Happenings," which are types of performance art and interactive types of things. He committed suicide in the end, which was in itself, a performance piece. He messed with the status quo in the art world. It's a great movie. Yoko Ono was also part of the movement. Al Hansen is another well-known artist from that movement.

Yes, in a lot of ways the two sort of met each other. There's a wonderful movie called How to Draw a Bunny about Ray Johnson who was considered a Fluxus artist and he did a lot of mail art as well. He did these things called "Happenings," which are types of performance art and interactive types of things. He committed suicide in the end, which was in itself, a performance piece. He messed with the status quo in the art world. It's a great movie. Yoko Ono was also part of the movement. Al Hansen is another well-known artist from that movement.
oh no!! what a horrible ending :( i am going to look into it.. the happenings and i have a crush on yoko ;)

Every time I log in here, I feel like I learn something! I've never heard of any of this, outside of performance art in general. But mail art (which I first read as "mall art"), or Fluxus art...a big blank until now. Interesting discussion, and @wholey dirtey thanks for explaining your thoughts behind this piece!

There's a wonderful movie called How to Draw a Bunny about Ray Johnson who was considered a Fluxus artist and he did a lot of mail art as well.
Thanks so much, Arty! I'll check out the movie. I was crazy for mail art before I knew it was a thing, and I seem to recall some connection with Fluxus. Sadly (as with so many of my stories), my mail buddy passed untimely to the other side. Making some postage stamps remains on my bucket list :)

That is sad. I'm so sorry. Maybe you can start writing/mailing with someone new in their memory. I used to do a ton of mail art too. I think that's what got me into book arts.

Back