Boo-boo

ntl

Contributing Member
There's a large area on a wc that needs adjusting. Using more paint on it as it is will not suffice. If I gesso that area then use wc paint on it, will that make more of a mess? I CAN live with it, but if there's an appropriate way to fix it, I'll give it a try. For those of enquiring minds, it's all three: colors, shapes, and sizes... Thanks.

If you're using good paper, you can sometimes wet the area well and blot, repeat as needed. That will remove a good bit of the color.

I’ve never used this but it’s called watercolor ground. Apparently it can be used to correct watercolors or make surfaces like wood, canvas and metal able to accept watercolors. There are lots of articles and videos and several brands available. Here’s one article. If you could risk not liking the result it might be worth a try.

Sno, thanks. the paint has been dry for over a month. Will that make a difference with the wet&blot?
Donna, hmmm. I'll check into it. I'll probably try the blotting Sno suggested. Thanks.

Sno, thanks. the paint has been dry for over a month. Will that make a difference with the wet&blot?
Donna, hmmm. I'll check into it. I'll probably try the blotting Sno suggested. Thanks.
It will probably depend on how much actual stain is down into the paper, but I've seen it go almost back to white. In any case you will probably get enough off to make your corrections.

I don't think it will matter too, too much how old it is. Don't use too much of this technique enough to make the paper pill up though. Do a little at a time is my suggestion. Just treat it carefully. I would not use gesso. There have been times I have used white gouache, let it dry, then watercolor over it again, but it still sticks out and makes the "mistake" a bit obvious. Sometimes, it's better to try to blot it out with the technique that sno is suggesting or leave it be.

Back