Best glue that will not harm work?

PaintBoss

Contributing Member
What is a good glue to use that does not discolour over time. Using it with watercolour paper.
Thanks!

Acrylic gel medium seems to be recommended a lot. It's what I'm using now after trying a lot of other things. I adhere the paper to gatorboard then treat with wax or acrylic spray varnish so no glass is needed.

I suspect that wall paper paste would work just as well, wouldn't yellow and would be easier for conservation purposes. Could be steamed off. And would be cheaper. And even if it yellows it might not show.

For collage purposes the acrylic gel is probably the way to go.

I just used Golden’s Soft Gel Matte to glue watercolor paper to one of those cradled wooden boards. I put heavy books on top and let it dry for 24 hours and it worked really well. I read somewhere that the heavier gels do a better job than the more fluid kind but I haven’t checked that out.

I use NovaColor clear gel medium (Mat), which is the same stuff essentially as what Donna is talking about.

I use LINECO adhesive- archival, non yellow, etc - self leveling - good for mounting paper to panels too.

Back