Be a layman and help me out

Artyczar

Okay, for yucks and for gathering information, and curiosity sake, be a layman (not an art professional) and tell me what the hell kind of art I do. I really wonder if it can be summed up to a word (or two words). Please don't say, "bad art" though. I already know that. Ha.

esart.com

I'm trying to avoid long strings like: contemporary mixed media abstract expressionism.

I’d say CONTEMPORARY as one word and then....and then....maybe something like unique or quirky or personal? 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Yeah, “expressionism“ is good for you, too. And btw, I never know what to call my stuff either. I’ve sort of settled on surreal pop. Haha! None of these words sound like anything but still, could include anything.

eclectic expressions [with a focus on deserts - tho some might confuse that with puff pastries]

la

Yeah, see: "surreal pop" is a great search word! I think relatively normal people that aren't necessarily art world people would search that, but "abstract expressionism" might not be something people who are looking for art would type and then get to my page, plus it's not very specific. A billion results would come up. I'd rather it be "weird art." Even that is more specific.. You know? But you are helping. :) We're getting warmer. I already do have those search words very up front and relevant in my SEO though. So you aren't off the mark.

I once used, "Outsider art," but I can't anymore now that I know what it means. I am not an outsider artist. My work just kind of looks like it is. "Whimsical," as much as I really hate that word, can be another. Eclectic is good! :) Thanks.

I was thinking maybe just "pop art" until I read this on a site:
Hamilton described the movement’s characteristics writing, “Pop art is: Popular (designed for a mass audience), Transient (short-term solution), Expendable (easily forgotten), Low cost, Mass produced, Young (aimed at youth), Witty, Sexy, Gimmicky, Glamorous, Big business.” After the movement burst onto the scene in the United States, it quickly spread across the globe and continues to influence fine art and popular culture today.

Thanks everyone. I have been studying up on this stuff (more than I already do) and got caught up on trying to find a "style" for everything I do when I don't need to do that. The truth is that I forgot! All I need to do is to come up with good words for each section of the site and worry about the landing page later. So I've just saved myself a lot of heartache. But I'm still going to be using a lot of these in my keywords. Thank you!

Thanks Birdhs. Do you think people search that term, and do you know how many results come up in "contemporary art?!" A lot.

I have been working on the site and I think "weird" is a good one. My work is pretty weird--some of it is anyway (see avatar). But I also decided that, since I have sections for each grouping, I will basically promote each of those like they are their own little sites. So the abstract desert landscapes will get their description, while the more weird abstracts will get theirs.

Since I've added words like "weird," "unique," "quirky," etc., I've been in a higher position on Google. Not only that, but "weird" brings up a lot of contemporaries whom I love, like Amy Sillman, Alison Schulnik, and other artists I feel comparable to, as far as style. I think it was a good move. I still come up under contemporary mixed media too, but I've been on the first pages of weird contemporary artists, so that's good. Thank you everyone for your suggestions! :) SEO is not easy.

Back