Barn Owls

Reddyman

I am a big fan of owls and my favorite would have to be Barn Owls. They are such beautiful birds with rich markings and colour. I read that they are the most widely distributed owls in the world. Always great to catch a glimpse of one of these "Barnies" in many of the rural farming areas.
This is a couple of acrylic paintings I did of them recently....love to capture them in their natural surroundings.
I am a recent addition to this forum and did want to say how great it is to be a part of this talented and friendly group of artists...thanks again. :)

John

16 by 20 inches- Acrylic on Panel

IMG_0030-1 (7).jpg

16 by 26 inches - Acrylic on Panel

20210124_100544 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Great owls Reddy! I especially love the top one. Maybe it's trees in the background. They are very detailed. I once came home and there was a big barn owl sitting on my fence post about 10 yards from me. Scared me! He sat there staring at me. He did not move. I did not move. I stood there and looked at him until he flew away. It was magical. This was not when I lived out here in the wilderness. This was when I lived in LA!

Both are excellent. What's not to love about owls? I like the one in flight best. I think it is because of the sky. I prefer cool colors over warm ones.

Great owls Reddy! I especially love the top one. Maybe it's trees in the background. They are very detailed. I once came home and there was a big barn owl sitting on my fence post about 10 yards from me. Scared me! He sat there staring at me. He did not move. I did not move. I stood there and looked at him until he flew away. It was magical. This was not when I lived out here in the wilderness. This was when I lived in LA!
Thanks Artyczar, I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Yes barn Owls are amazing to see in the wild. In my area where I love it is rural so they are plentiful. Amazing you saw that one in L.A. ....must have been off course...LOL

John

Both are excellent. What's not to love about owls? I like the one in flight best. I think it is because of the sky. I prefer cool colors over warm ones.
Thanks so much Deborah, I appreciate your comments and I think I like the 2nd one the best as well based on the complementary colours working together. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

John

They are very different paintings, in composition and palette and tone. But equally gorgeous!

I love owls, too! Always have, since my camping days as a kid. We'd go off into the woods hunting for owl pellets. We'd always find them, and pull them apart for inspection. 😆

Your brushwork on each of these is excellent, John. The details are wonderful!

Thanks so much Terri and I appreciate you taking the time to comment. :)
Yes two very different paintings and both were framed and found homes so that is always a good thing.
( as a kid we used to do the same thing in a forested area not too far from where I lived....the best memory was coming across a Great Horned Owl one time.... very large and was a talking point for months afterwards for us :) )
Thanks Terri
John

Wow John, I need to check in on this forum more often because these owls are amazing! It's no wonder they both found homes and those people are very lucky to have them.

I can't pick a favourite - I love the first one because it's the view I normally get of them, when you catch them in the headlights at night! Love the background too. And I love the composition of the second painting.

I can still remember the first time I saw a barn owl - me & my dad used to go birdwatching every Sunday morning, and it was one of our first trips, and it was right on the edge of my home town. It opened up a whole new world. :)

I remember as a kid we were told to stay away from owls cause they were lousy. They stole your dogs pups: I know that. They are pretty though. Nice work John.

Wow John, I need to check in on this forum more often because these owls are amazing! It's no wonder they both found homes and those people are very lucky to have them.
Hi Donna

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments. Owls are somewhat mysterious to me and of course these Barn Owls are so colourful with great markings ....I do enjoy painting them. Have a great weekend my friend.

John :)

I can't pick a favourite - I love the first one because it's the view I normally get of them, when you catch them in the headlights at night! Love the background too. And I love the composition of the second painting.

I can still remember the first time I saw a barn owl - me & my dad used to go birdwatching every Sunday morning, and it was one of our first trips, and it was right on the edge of my home town. It opened up a whole new world. :)
Thanks so much Kay.... yes I think once you catch a glimpse of owls and many birds of prey for that matter it can be somewhat addictive. :)
Appreciate your comments.
John

I remember as a kid we were told to stay away from owls cause they were lousy. They stole your dogs pups: I know that. They are pretty though. Nice work John.
Hey Wayne....always appreciated my friend. Yes owls can be quite aggresive especially some of the larger varieties like the Gret Horned Owls. Thanks again.
John :)

Very nice. Barn owls are really strange looking. It's the dark eyes against the white facial ruff, I think. Barred owls, which also have very dark eyes, have the same sphinx-like quality.

Thanks so much Musket....I agree that the large dark eyes offset against the white feathers and head shape make them very different in appearance. Appreciate the comments always.

John

Last edited:
John, these are beautiful owl paintings! I also like that you have the landscape behind them. Owls are special and adorable birds.

Thanks so much Moscatel, I do find owls unique for sure and the fact they are nocturnal always keeps the curiusity as they are not seen much by day. Appreicate your comments. :)

John

Back