Bad Day in Dog Town

Bongo

This morning Fed ex leaves a 40lb package that was supposed to be a return - but they couldn't read the barcode so they returned it to me!
I dropped two packages off at Amazon - but when I got home and checked my email - turns out instead of both being scanned, one was scanned twice! now what happens!? I got new firmware to install on some video equipment that's acting up. But it won't recognize the thumb drive, then it does but won't recognize the firmware! So I went out and bought a new thumb drive thinking that might be the problem. But then that thumb drive wouldn't read! So I put the firmware on an sd card and into an sd reader - didn't work? So then I started switching cards, ports, readers, thumb drives -- then my trackball stopped working - then the "F" key starts sticking on my keyboard - still sticking - I'm going crazy, nothing works. Finally, get it sorted out - one of the cards was bad, AND one of the usb ports is bad - which also caused the trackball to stop working. oh yeah, the retractable thumb drive I bought won't retract.

Finally got the new firmware installed - but that didn't solve the problem!

Well at least I get my paints from Blicks today - wrong! Tracking says it was delivered but it wasn't - turns out the Fed Ex guy was supposed to drop it off with the 40lb package this morning but forgot to leave it.!

oh yeah forgot to add - this morning I cut a 20"x30" hardboard panel - but turned out I cut it too long at 30 1/8". The problem is the way my table saw is set up I can't fix it with another cut . - only way I have to fix it is sanding - - by hand

Last edited:
another oh yeah - forgot I could edit my first e-mail so started this one to add the "oh yeah".

The frustrating part is that most of these snafus didn't get solved - so I'll have to deal with them again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Sounds like, like me, you live by Murphy's Law. :confused:
"Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong" - Murphy
"It's never nothing" - bongo.

I realize these are all first-world problems, I should be so lucky as to only have such to be concerned about. But I don't normally have things go wrong all at once - usually the pain is spread out over days/weeks.

What struck me was the eerie symmetry to them, that harkened back to a time when I was captivated by "meaningful coincidence" of the type espoused by Arthur Koestler ("Roots of Coincidence") and Carl Jung's synchronicity - rabbit holes I narrowly escaped and have no interest in re-visiting.... still it was a bit much.

oh yeah forgot to add - this morning I cut a 20"x30" hardboard panel - but turned out I cut it too long at 30 1/8". The problem is the way my table saw is set up I can't fix it with another cut . - only way I have to fix it is sanding - - by hand
How's your saw set up that you can't shave off an 8th inch?

How's your saw set up that you can't shave off an 8th inch?
The piece I was trying to shave is 30" wide. My fence only goes out to 24". I could of set the fence to 1/8" and put the piece on the other side. But it would have been cumbersome and not really safe.

The piece I was trying to shave is 30" wide. My fence only goes out to 24". I could of set the fence to 1/8" and put the piece on the other side. But it would have been cumbersome and not really safe.
I see.
Any chance you could make a sled or something to cut sheets like that?

No. I have the Dewalt 7480 - 10"blade 24"rip. The throat - distance from edge of table to blade -is short maybe 8"? So a sled that's 30+ inches wouldn't have enough support.

I cut 4ft wide sheets with it all the time - cutting down a foot or so but not making a 1/8" cut.

I ended up using an orbital sander to take the 1/8" off the edge of the panel - you're not supposed to use the sander like that, should have the whole pad on the surface, not an 1/8" strip - but it worked and didn't cause damage to the sander.

Last edited:
No. I have the Dewalt 7480 - 10"blade 24"rip. The throat - distance from edge of table to blade -is short maybe 8"? So a sled that's 30+ inches wouldn't have enough support.

I cut 4ft wide sheets with it all the time - cutting down a foot or so but not making a 1/8" cut.

I ended up using an orbital sander to take the 1/8" off the edge of the panel - you're not supposed to use the sander like that, should have the whole pad on the surface, not an 1/8" strip - but it worked and didn't cause damage to the sander.
Oh. Those little bench tops can be really nice at time but they can also be a pain.

The orbital sander should be safe. I’ve used them plenty of times on the edge of 1/2” to 1” stock and never had a problem doing that.

Back