Art & Politics?

It strikes me as most unlikely that individual works of art can sway public opinion one inch, at this point in time. Those who will be moved by a piece of political art are already predisposed to be moved by it. Those who are not will despise it as the work of the enemy. All just preaching to the choir. It doesn't seem to matter a whit that the Emperor has no clothes... those who support the Empire either choose to see clothes where there are none, or actually get off on it.

I remember hearing the news of that day very well, where I was and who I was with.

Once again, this song was a product of a counterculture that no longer exists. It was a different time in a different world. We were still all floating on a sea of cheap oil. There was a war going on, complete with a draft.

We actually thought we could change the world with the power of love, peace and music. Maybe we really did have a chance. But it didn't turn out that way. By 70, the dream was already starting to die.

Changing the nature of the world is futile.

Changing yourself is possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
But now? With all that's going on today? I've been waiting for the contemporary music that makes such a political statement.
I think a good part of the problem is that most contemporary music isn’t written to be sung en masse, or to be performed with simple acoustic instruments. Most popular music these days seems to be made for relatively thoughtless commercial entertainment, or to be accepted passively by isolated listeners; popular traditions that encouraged active participation, from church singing to work and folk songs, no longer play much of a role in most people’s lives.

Of course the decline took a long time, we‘ve lost a lot since the end of “the long 19th Century” ( roughly the French Revolution through WW I). Recordings and radio gave it some footing later, like the music of Woody Guthrie, but over time that just seems to have led to greater commercialization and less human interaction.

Maybe it’s time to start bringing those back?

I have lots of thoughts about arts and politics, but not sure I have the energy/focus at the moment to delve very deeply into this subject. Maybe later!

I will say wrt to the vandalism to the Cervantes statue in San Francisco, it's not clear to me what's even going on there. A friend on FB posted that and someone pointed out that the symbols on the back on the front two figures are Celtic crosses, which are often used by white supremacists. This certainly raises the issue of the importance of context in understand signs/symbols. That might also be part of why that Helnwein painting elicits so many different reactions. From my understanding, there's lots of Austrian art from the 1960s on that is in some ways coming to terms w/Nazism and Austria's role in WWII, so I think some of the Nazi paintings are coming out of that. It's created from a different position from someone in the US.

The argument against the destruction of sculpture as resulting in a destruction of history begins to hold increased weight when we find an illiterate vandalizing at random... destroying not only sculpture of Confederate officers, but also early abolitionists... and Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra (Cervantes) the author of Don Quixote and the greatest writer of Spain. This is especially egregious considering his history. Cervantes enlisted in a Spanish Naval regiment, and was badly wounded at the Battle of Lepanto defending Venice against invading Ottoman Turks. He served as a soldier until 1575, when he was captured by Barbary (Ottoman) pirates. Cervantes and his brother Rodrigo (who served on the same ship) were taken to Algiers, to be sold as slaves, or–as was the case of Cervantes and his brother–held for ransom, if this would be more lucrative than their sale as slaves. Rodrigo was ransomed in 1577, but his family could not afford the fee for Cervantes, who was forced to remain. Turkish historians have found evidence suggesting Cervantes worked on the construction of the Kılıç Ali Pasha Complex, which means he spent at least part of his captivity as a slave in Istanbul.

after five years in captivity, he was ransomed, and returned to Madrid.

I kinda want to avoid getting into a conversation on the ethics/politics of vandalizing or removing said sculptures. The only thing I wanted to point out is that it's not clear to me that the people who vandalized this particular sculpture are the anti-racist protestors, given that they spray-painted white supremacist symbols on the figures. If that *is* who did it, they are either confused about the meaning of the symbols, or they are trying to relay a message that is confusing for the viewer. But the other possibility is it's just white supremacists. I don't have enough information for confirm. There are many layers of context beyond who Cervantes himself was.

Art isn't supposed to be political…
Why do you think it isn't?

All art is a product of the cultural milieu in which it was created. In times such as the current moment, it seems natural that our art might reflect the heightened political tension we're experiencing.

This is becoming a more controversial issue today. We have the push to tear down and destroy statues that commemorate Confederate officers in the US. I am in full agreement with the efforts to remove these statues from such a context as to honor or venerate those individuals. Place them in a museum that addresses their deeds. But I draw the line at destroying them. That strikes me as being too close to the actions of the Taliban... destroying ancient Buddhist and Hindu sculpture because it does not suit their current beliefs. And then we have the fact that the mob in their righteous zeal to erase our Confederate racist past have also pulled down statues of George Washington, Christopher Columbus, and even early abolitionists. It quickly becomes a slippery slope.

Erasing the history you don't like is of course a great way to ensure you'll repeat it.

I don't get worked up too much. Current events have filled me with a renewed sense of humility before nature, and nature ultimately laughs at all our issues, whether silly ones or grave matters. What are statues really other than a convenient place for pigeons to s(h)it on? A thousand years from now, or ten thousand, presumably people will still be scurrying through their petty little lives, angrily tearing down and putting up statues, and thinking they are changing the world. When I think of these issues in terms of nature's time scales, I realize their triviality. Ozymandias should be required reading in all schools.

The Puritanical desire to erase the past and appears holier than thou has carried over into the museums.

A great deal of it is indeed little more than virtue signaling. So now we have a bunch of youngsters trying to outdo one another in proving their ideological purity. It does not bode well for the arts, or at least for any art of any kind that is or was produced by a white male. :)

What of the notorious antisemite, Richard Wagner? But then again, Wagner was likely so more of an antisemite than Bach or a good many other artists and composers of his day.

Anyone who has actually tried to listen to Wagner's music will know that antisemitism was the least of his sins. 😈

But yes, antisemitism was standard practice in Europe, for many centuries. Utterly idiotic, but there you go. Wagner's reputation just got unlucky: his work was revered by a culture in which antisemitism finally turned seriously murderous, and he wrote that unfortunate little pamphlet. Had he stuck to opera, his antisemitism might have been forgotten by now, and had the Holocaust never happened, no one today would have cared about the pamphlet either.

It seems to me there is a misconception that the proper goal of art is to ennoble the audience... to edify and educate us as to the appropriate beliefs and values... and that any art which fails to do so... or any artist who fails to meet the proper ethical/moral standards can and should be erased.

"I'm fed to the teeth with all these elevated things!" :)

It's of course nothing new: as far as I can work out, before modernism it was received wisdom that the arts should instill "proper" moral values (which is one reason why audiences found Manet's pictures of whores so startling). But what are proper moral values? How could societies that practiced slavery and colonialism and war and barbaric punishments really point fingers anyway? And how can a bunch of pimple-faced, uneducated morons who would burn priceless works of art point fingers?

Now unlike WC, this board does not even have a debate section, which is probably a good thing, and thus, I don't want to get drawn too deeply into things that might end up with everyone throwing mud at everyone else. But those kids pulling down statues of Ulysses Grant etc. should understand this: they are handing the election to Trump on a platter.

Exactly. Now we haven't been confronted by too many examples of art that promotes Nazi or Maoist or Stalinist ideas... and that is actually good. There is Leni Riefenstahl... and that's about all I can think of.

Well, as I noted before, one can argue that just about any art is, in a sense, political. Gorgeous still life of flowers and fruit? Well, keep in mind that only the rich could afford such a thing, to adorn their sumptuous homes with something trivial, that will draw their attention away from all the ills of the world. Thus, an artist who paints such things is in a sense publicly showing his support for the status quo. Perhaps we should embark on a burning spree of Dutch Golden Age paintings. :)

That is of course the problem. As you note, it quickly becomes a slippery slope. The whole thing has now turned into a classical witch hunt, in which to be accused is to be found guilty. But when I look at all those angry kids out there, I perceive a significant element of self-loathing in them. Thus end civilizations.

If we look at art around the time of the French Revolution we get more of an equal quality on opposite sides of the political spectrum. We have powerful works in support of Napoleon and the Revolution... and we have equally powerful works taking an opposite view. Of course we have these paintings where the artist's grasp on reality is so bad they are almost good comedy:

When I first ran into McNaughton's work on the web I honestly thought it WAS comedy! But it demonstrates the old notion that when things get to a certain point, they become impossible to satirize, because no matter how crazy a thing you come up with, chances are that there are people who do actually believe it.

Anyway, it is often just one more bandwagon that someone jumped on. The Black Lives Matter movement seems like it may be such. But once again I don't mind. Beethoven jumped on the Napoleon bandwagon, and looked what transpired.

When the latest political movement... BLM or the "Me Too" movement produce an Eroica Symphony, I might pay attention to the art.:rolleyes:

Yes, indeed. But that's the thing: if I think the cause is worthwhile I'll support it irrespective of whether it produces great art or not (while if one of the forms in which it expresses itself is the destruction of art, I will withdraw support even if I initially thought the cause was a good one!) And if the cause is not worthwhile, simply producing great art is not going to sway me. I'm a great fan of the Eroica; not so much of Napoleon.

A great many of today's hot button issues strike me as little more than bandwagons and opportunities for virtue signaling. BLM comes to mind; #metoo perhaps not quite so much, but it is one of those things that can very easily get out of hand. A great deal of nature "conservation" also falls into that category.

But I'm getting too old to get worked up about such things. Life is short and I have better things to do than either jumping on bandwagons, or allowing them to rob me of my sleep. :)

Last edited:
Erasing the history you don't like is of course a great way to ensure you'll repeat it.

I don't get worked up too much. Current events have filled me with a renewed sense of humility before nature, and nature ultimately laughs at all our issues, whether silly ones or grave matters. What are statues really other than a convenient place for pigeons to s(h)it on? A thousand years from now, or ten thousand, presumably people will still be scurrying through their petty little lives, angrily tearing down and putting up statues, and thinking they are changing the world. When I think of these issues in terms of nature's time scales, I realize their triviality. Ozymandias should be required reading in all schools.

Right. On both counts.

Yes, there isn't a debate category here on purpose. We wanted this forum to be about art and not politics and not religious propaganda, nor a bunch of heavy personal disagreements where we'd have to make a lot of judgment calls in order to moderate threads and posts, and thus become the bad guys, or whatever else.

That being said, art and politics as a subject matter is a completely valid topic for discussion, so long as it doesn't become a romper room of people throwing poop all over the walls. Everyone is entitled to their views though. No one wants to censor anyone here. It's supposed to be a safe place to discuss ART.

However, if something starts to get out of hand, and that is at the call of the owners of this site, then it's going to get moderated. That's just the nature of the beast I guess. So far, that has been pretty minimal.

I just wanted to post this friendly reminder. That's all. ;)

As you were.

I don't get worked up too much. Current events have filled me with a renewed sense of humility before nature, and nature ultimately laughs at all our issues, whether silly ones or grave matters.... When I think of these issues in terms of nature's time scales, I realize their triviality. Ozymandias should be required reading in all schools.

Accck! another Stoic Buddhist!:rolleyes:🥴

"The Puritanical desire to erase the past and appears holier than thou has carried over into the museums."
A great deal of it is indeed little more than virtue signaling. So now we have a bunch of youngsters trying to outdo one another in proving their ideological purity. It does not bode well for the arts, or at least for any art of any kind that is or was produced by a white male. :)

I've love this little comedy skit:

I was offended!

"What of the notorious antisemite, Richard Wagner? But then again, Wagner was likely no more of an antisemite than Bach or a good many other artists and composers of his day."

...antisemitism was standard practice in Europe, for many centuries. Utterly idiotic, but there you go. Wagner's reputation just got unlucky: his work was revered by a culture in which antisemitism finally turned seriously murderous, and he wrote that unfortunate little pamphlet.

I suspect it was the pamphlet's he wrote initially out of frustration at his lack of success as opposed to the Jewish Giacomo Meyerbeer whose work was quite conservative compared to Wagner. His wife was also an antisemitic extremist... far more than Wagner who was friends with and worked with a good many Jewish patrons, musicians, composers, conductors, etc... Of course, the Nazis lept on Wagner's antisemitic writings and his operas were build upon Germanic mythology... but actually they performed Beethoven and Mozart more often during the Third Reich than Wagner. Hitler's favorite contemporary composer was Richard Strauss... yet Strauss refused to play the German/Nazi national anthem; he refused to composer a new score for Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night Dream acknowledging that he could never surpass Mendelssohn's, and he even composed an anti-war opera.

"It seems to me there is a misconception that the proper goal of art is to ennoble the audience... to edify and educate us as to the appropriate beliefs and values... and that any art which fails to do so... or any artist who fails to meet the proper ethical/moral standards can and should be erased."

"I'm fed to the teeth with all these elevated things!" :)

"So lofty they shit marble!"

moazrt-emperor.jpg

It's of course nothing new: as far as I can work out, before modernism it was received wisdom that the arts should instill "proper" moral values (which is one reason why audiences found Manet's pictures of whores so startling). But what are proper moral values? How could societies that practiced slavery and colonialism and war and barbaric punishments really point fingers anyway? And how can a bunch of pimple-faced, uneducated morons who would burn priceless works of art point fingers?

One of the prime reasons that I embrace the art pour l'art aesthetic which is often mistaken for arguing in favor of an art solely about art when it actually argues against the notion of Art being valued or judged based upon external or non-Art elements: religion, politics, ethics, philosophy, etc...

Now unlike WC, this board does not even have a debate section, which is probably a good thing, and thus, I don't want to get drawn too deeply into things that might end up with everyone throwing mud at everyone else. But those kids pulling down statues of Ulysses Grant etc. should understand this: they are handing the election to Trump on a platter.

The problem with extremists... left or right... is that they are purists. They fail to grasp the notion that politics... and government... are impure. They involve compromise, cooperation, and trade-offs. But to the purist, compromise is akin to heresy!

Well, as I noted before, one can argue that just about any art is, in a sense, political. Gorgeous still life of flowers and fruit? Well, keep in mind that only the rich could afford such a thing, to adorn their sumptuous homes with something trivial, that will draw their attention away from all the ills of the world. Thus, an artist who paints such things is in a sense publicly showing his support for the status quo. Perhaps we should embark on a burning spree of Dutch Golden Age paintings. :)

Daumier and the German Expressionist print-makers sought to rebel against this through the creation of a mass-produced art that might be sold more cheaply... but you are correct. Ultimately, it takes a good period of time to master the skills needed to paint or sculpt, and most paintings or sculpture (or other art forms) are time intensive. If I spend a month and 100 hours on a painting I can't afford to sell it for $100. Of course, I've long joked that I can't afford my own paintings.:LOL:

That is of course the problem. As you note, it quickly becomes a slippery slope. The whole thing has now turned into a classical witch hunt, in which to be accused is to be found guilty. But when I look at all those angry kids out there, I perceive a significant element of self-loathing in them. Thus end civilizations.

I've long thought that we are unique in being the first neurotic (self-loathing?) Superpower.

When I first ran into McNaughton's work on the web I honestly thought it WAS comedy! But it demonstrates the old notion that when things get to a certain point, they become impossible to satirize, because no matter how crazy a thing you come up with, chances are that there are people who do actually believe it.

A couple of years ago we decided to give up our woodshop in order to cut down on the cost of the studio. A friend of one of my studio mates took it over. He had a close college friend who made a good income writing made-up political stories. He was amazed at just how even the most insane conspiracy theories would go viral. He did admit that those on the Left tended to be less easily fooled and made most of his income inventing insane stories that got picked up by Breitbart and other Right-Wing media.

But I'm getting too old to get worked up about such things. Life is short and I have better things to do than either jumping on bandwagons, or allowing them to rob me of my sleep. :)

The problem hits home, however, when these various stupid political decisions impact us directly.

It isn't stoicism. It's just being realistic. Nature operates on time scales that are almost incomprehensible to humans. We take ourselves very seriously, but all our doings occupy no more than a fingernail clipping off the length of an entire arm in terms of deep time.

What if an artist does a political piece that isn't intended so much as an effort to persuade, but instead is a genuine reaction to current events or trends in society? Or what about if the intention is again not so much an effort at persuasion but instead a presentation of something not ordinarily seen or recognized by the average person in that society. Isn't this a completely valid approach as well as one that's been used by visual artists and writers throughout history?

What if an artist does a political piece that isn't intended so much as an effort to persuade, but instead is a genuine reaction to current events or trends in society?
A lot of great art came out of just that, among my favourites is the work done during the Weimar Republic. For those who may not be familiar, there’s some here:

Back