Arabesque

Hermes2020

An experiment with contour slices, using white self-hardening clay. The height of the piece is 390 mm.

DSC_0041a.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

I love it too. It's actually pretty spectacular. I was taken with it the moment I laid eyes on it.

Shows what can be done regardless of materials. Did you let each contour dry and then stick it together?

Shows what can be done regardless of materials. Did you let each contour dry and then stick it together?

I rolled the clay between two spacers to get the correct thickness, then cut out each profile while the clay was wet. I dried the layers on a rack to allow air circulation on both sides to prevent warping, before gluing them together. I embedded a metal rod between the layers to allow me to mount it on a wooden base.

I needed to do a little filling of minor imperfections.

I rolled the clay between two spacers to get the correct thickness, then cut out each profile while the clay was wet. I dried the layers on a rack to allow air circulation on both sides to prevent warping, before gluing them together. I embedded a metal rod between the layers to allow me to mount it on a wooden base.

I needed to do a little filling of minor imperfections.
Thanks for the heads up on how you did it, I know the air dried clay I've used is tricky to blend together so thought you must have used another method.. Great mind you have there.

Thanks for the heads up on how you did it, I know the air dried clay I've used is tricky to blend together so thought you must have used another method.. Great mind you have there.

That was the first, and so far the only, time I used air dried clay. I was hoping to get a porcelain finish! What have you done with it?

I've only used it with my small grandchildren and I don't have your creative mind to take it much further than showing them the basics. I find it hard to work with and limiting, but seeing your model it's obvious to me that it's me that's limited, rather than the material.

I'm currently softening some stonewear clay to make a small model of Vermeer's milkmaid.
I used to make figures of shoemakers and such from modelling clay, I like sculpting small figures and all the peripheral objects, kind of like an English version of Capodimonte. I haven't done anything with clay for a number of years. However, I find it the most satisfying genre of art.

Back