And these girls were left sitting in a tree

Jane

6F749DBC-8B33-4831-BD66-EFF6754991B5.jpegBecause they had no home to go to. Egg tempera on wood 2.5 x3.5.

This is wonderful, Jane! I like the small size and your subjects, and I'm REALLY happy that this is egg tempera! A technique I'm interested in but haven't tried. It seems fussy. Is it difficult to put it all together? No difficulty finding pigments?

Great job here. Love it! 💕

Thank you, I just love egg tempera. I bought my first pigments at Earth pigments. i purchased the colors of the French impressionist set. They were right around 100 dollars but I found out later that you can crush up old pastels and they work ok too. I made my own gesso and made my own panels (because I’m cheap) but I have also used clayboard which isn’t too expensive in the smaller sizes. The nice thing about egg tempera is it really doesn’t have a strong odor like oil paint and it dries so quickly you can paint right over it. there are several iconographers on you tube that give a lot of really good information. Peter Blackwood is one of them. just make sure you get the iconagrapher not the other one. He has videos on how to mix the paint . Make the boards and gesso. Also Painting the light is excellent too but more for applying the paint In different styles.
when you buy the paint it looks like you don’t get a whole lot but it really goes a long way And the colors are so vibrant. Try it out with some ground up chalk pastels and egg and see if you like it.

Interesting painting, I wish I knew the story behind it though?

It's nice to see egg tempera. I've never used it, but I do like looking at it.

Okay, I F'in LOVE this piece. It's really stunning. I would love to own this little precious thing.

I started in egg tempera when I first started painting. That and then watercolors, or both really at the same time. I think that is what attracted me to oils. The colors!

This is simply amazing. Not enough hearts! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Okay, I F'in LOVE this piece. It's really stunning. I would love to own this little precious thing.

I started in egg tempera when I first started painting. That and then watercolors, or both really at the same time. I think that is what attracted me to oils. The colors!

This is simply amazing. Not enough hearts! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
It’s yours If you let me know where to send it!

Wow Jane!! This is really an exciting little piece. It’d be great if you could post it again cropped properly so we can see it bigger, before you send it to Arty!….😆👍
I can’t not point out the very Van Gogh like treatment of the tree and the foreground.

If I crop it he might not like it and then I’ll have to go looking for a new home for it.

Also Painting the light is excellent too but more for applying the paint In different styles.
Oh, man, Antonis Kosmadakis is an absolute treasure if egg tempera is your thing. Heck, he goes way beyond egg tempera too. He is the only artist/maestro that I have ever actually supported on Patreon. I skip eating out sometimes to justify my little bit that goes to him each month. He gives so much of his skill, information, and support for free on the internet. He reaches serious iconography aspirants all over and they are so grateful for his YouTube vids.

He's a purist, though. He advises against crushing pastels, but I depart a little there because quality pastels are mostly pure pigment stuck together with a little gum. I have several natural earth pigments plus titanium white and ultamarine blue from Natural Pigments that I've been slowly accumulating, and a very basic inexpensive modern primary set from Earth Colors. But I would crush a pastel without hesitation if I needed a certain color in a hurry :) Antonis has those big jars of real cobalts and cadmiums; that could get expensive! He also uses real rabbit skin glue to cook up his gesso, which is kind of labor intensive. I've tried to cheat on the panels, but the paint didn't adhere well to the prepared panel that i tried.

the idea came from St. Christine the Astonishing, but the painting looked a bit empty with just Christine in the tree so I multiplied her.
It's a wonderful painting, Jane. I wanted to do a St Lucy, but I couldn't make one in time for her day (Dec. 10) this year.

It's a wonderful painting, Jane. I wanted to do a St Lucy, but I couldn't make one in time for her day (Dec. 10) this year.
Oh, man, Antonis Kosmadakis is an absolute treasure if egg tempera is your thing. Heck, he goes way beyond egg tempera too. He is the only artist/maestro that I have ever actually supported on Patreon. I skip eating out sometimes to justify my little bit that goes to him each month. He gives so much of his skill, information, and support for free on the internet. He reaches serious iconography aspirants all over and they are so grateful for his YouTube vids.

He's a purist, though. He advises against crushing pastels, but I depart a little there because quality pastels are mostly pure pigment stuck together with a little gum. I have several natural earth pigments plus titanium white and ultamarine blue from Natural Pigments that I've been slowly accumulating, and a very basic inexpensive modern primary set from Earth Colors. But I would crush a pastel without hesitation if I needed a certain color in a hurry :) Antonis has those big jars of real cobalts and cadmiums; that could get expensive! He also uses real rabbit skin glue to cook up his gesso, which is kind of labor intensive. I've tried to cheat on the panels, but the paint didn't adhere well to the prepared panel that i tried.
Antonia is wonderful. I tried usiing the same paintings that he used for inspiration but h truly is a master. So inspiring.

I don’t know the story or even heard of St. Christine. I will have to go look her up. This is a whimsical, lively little punch of a painting. I feel like Christine is just waiting for us to notice her and is thinking “Ha, made you look!”. Intriguing indeed. So well done.
Artyczar would be the perfect home for this card.🙂

Back