And there it is

N

Nufocus

17898718-2B2E-4069-854A-8522C3E09A9B.jpeg

There was an interesting discussion in my previous post regarding the usage of oil pastels.
So here’s another one. Again, I used some acrylics underneath and it seems to have enhanced the texture. It’s on paper.
Thanks for looking.

Gorgeous texture! Another interesting use of acrylics as your underpainting, I like it! ❤️

I did look to see if my van Gogh OP's are made by the same folks who make the Pandas - and yes, both are made by Royal Talens. Panda seems to be available only overseas, but sell the van Gogh line in North America. Go figure!

I get a jungle/palm tree feeling from this and hope that is not some poisonous bug hiding underneath. Really nice texture and colors!

Gorgeous marks and colours! Also really fascinating to see how the varying opacity of the oil pastels adds so much interest here (lack of opacity is one of the things I find vexing with oil pastels!).

Gorgeous marks and colours! Also really fascinating to see how the varying opacity of the oil pastels adds so much interest here (lack of opacity is one of the things I find vexing with oil pastels!).
Triss, oil pastels are made by several different manufacturers, like any other medium, and so they will have varying degrees of opacity. It takes awhile to try a few different kinds, which also means financial outlay. A lot of artists will write them off because of the investment involved - and that doesn't even include finding a good paper you like!

Since they're all made with wax, oil and pigment, the cheaper, student grade ones tend to have less pigment and oil, but more wax, which makes them more opaque and drier - can be hard to work with. But they are great for a bottom layer. "Fat over lean" really applies to OPs! A layer of harder OP easily accepts higher quality ones, they will glide right over. Easy to build up layers this way, which can give you a really thick, nicely textured end result.

Senneliers - very high quality, lipstick texture, but several are so oily you can see right through them. Expensive.

Sakura Cray-Pas Expressionist - student/midrange quality, great first layer OP's with nice color ranges. Super cheap, too.

Mungyo Gallery Artist's Soft - my general, all purpose go-to OP's, they have really nice opacity for layering. They don't have great color longevity, so it's best to not make them a top layer.

I could go on, but you get the idea. ;) And I'm a sucker for OP's, I freely admit.

interesting piece. Could look at it for a long time and still be engaged.

I really like this Nufocus, feels like a lot of energy and abandon to say things forcefully and plainly without regard to how they are taken by others.

Is that one of your wonderful clowns hiding underneath? Maybe not, but anyway I do like the 'mark making', as Greggo used to call it, and the saturated palette. Another good one!

I really like this Nufocus, feels like a lot of energy and abandon to say things forcefully and plainly without regard to how they are taken by others.
Hey Trier, trying to be as aggressive as possible!….😂 Thank you!!

Is that one of your wonderful clowns hiding underneath? Maybe not, but anyway I do like the 'mark making', as Greggo used to call it, and the saturated palette. Another good one!
Hey Susan, the clowns managed to escape the tremendous pressure of those oil crayons at the last minute. But I’m sure I’ll catch them on the next piece of paper. Much appreciated!!

Back