All Things Kabbalah

With all due respect... what do you hope to gain by studying all this? What is your motivation?

Not sure, if I understand this right: Are you having the texts translated through an internet-algorithm?
If, so, [I do not mean to diminish your studies, but] I - personally - wouldn't rely on such a source.

That's not what I mean...and I didn't use an algorithm either; I translated each letter at a time with multiple resources. It took forever. Each letter has multiple meanings. Each word has multiple meanings. If I remember it correctly, too, translations are vast and original texts in Hebrew don't necessarily even have spaces between the letters and so it can be interpreted a lot of different ways. "Adam" isn't necessarily translated as a "man," but can be interpreted as a "person," or "first person," not "man." The woman, is not a woman, but a helper. "In His own image" is a hole other story. Like I said, I'd have to look through all my notes when I did this some years ago and they are buried in a box in storage. A lot of it is MY own interpretations as well, since there are no set ones, or "correct" ones.

Thanks for the images of the text. The Hebrew text you scanned is a lot like the ones I have. I don't know where my teacher got his. I'm actually moving all my storage back here tomorrow, so I'll have access to this stuff pretty soon-ish.

I haven't talked to him in some time. I no longer go to that shul, even before we moved out here, he started attending a different shul and our Rabbi stopped working at that synagogue as well. I talked to them on Facebook every now and then, but now I'm not on Facebook anymore, but Mark (I probably talk about him on that blog) pops up every now and again in my email box. He was the teacher and inspired my short film.

The stuff you are saying about the first letters and the modesty thing is/are very interesting.

I think we may want to continue this conversation privately because it is pretty religious, even if we don't consider it so, it actually is and I think it's best to leave it off the forum, or perhaps we can do a back alley/private messaging thing.

With all due respect... what do you hope to gain by studying all this? What is your motivation?

It's just interest and deeper knowledge of the things that connect us, for me, personally.

It's a good question though, and I am realizing that it's probably better left off the forum.

I don't see why you should remove it. The subject is interesting and I know you've done some art relating to it. I'm just having a hard time following it.

... what do you hope to gain by studying all this? What is your motivation?
Speaking only for me. It's damn easy and I think you as an artist will understand the motivation perfectly:
It's simply fascinating.

That's enough motivation it needs for me.
Doing things you're interested in or that you like.

Just like looking at the night sky and enjoying it. Or painting the night sky (art) or asking what the stars are and how they move (science) or asking what the sky is about (philosophy).
Fascination for a given sunject is enough, I think, to spend your time with it. No "gain" needed except feeding this fascination and interest.

Back