A twofer day!

Bartc

Great day at Lands End in San Francisco. Great views and over 30 artists turned out to paint today. I got two, a 12x9" pastel on Gray Pastelmat, and a 10x4" watercolor. B. Charlow, 2022.
Land's End pastel 2022 photo inside.jpg

Lands End scenic watercolor January 2022.jpg

The water color is simply beautiful but in the first painting, the water is too light around the rocks and that makes them float instead of sit. Opinion only, of course. I do like the color, it's the values that derail me.

Thanks, Wayne. I do see what you mean about the sea value. I suspect that's because I started out the painting with the intention of staying higher key overall, but as the light moved on I deepened the shadows on the rocks without changing the value of the sea to compensate. In reality, the values are not actually far off what a camera would have shown you, however. It was never my intention to do a lot with the water. As you can see, I barely developed the ocean.
painting Seal Rocks and Lands End Jan 22.jpg

Again, thank you, Wayne. In fact, what I was after was to capture what I like so much about this version of some of those rocks painted in acrylic a few years ago. I think I did, but am less satisfied with the pastel version. My feeling is that in the acrylic the ocean was effectively developed as the subject, while in the pastel it was the reverse, the rocks were more the subject. Anyway, it ain't bad in my own critical view.
lands end sep 2018.jpg

I know you see. You are a good artist. Just me giving my first impression of a piece and too eager to lend an eye.
Yes, that one is more anchored.

I know you see. You are a good artist. Just me giving my first impression of a piece and too eager to lend an eye.
Yes, that one is more anchored.
No, I agree with your view, just not a particular problem for me, as they appear that way in nature too.
But it does remind me to take off my photochromic glasses once in a while when I paint. They do exaggerate contrast. That can throw some things off re values.

Back