A theory of human artistic experience and the neural mechanisms

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Followed a series of links and ended up here
I enjoyed reading it.

"... We present a theory of human artistic experience and the neural mechanisms that mediate it. Any theory of art (or, indeed, any aspect of human nature) has to ideally have three components. (a) The logic of art: whether there are universal rules or principles; (b) The evolutionary rationale: why did these rules evolve and why do they have the form that they do; (c) What is the brain circuitry involved? Our paper begins with a quest for artistic universals and proposes a list of ‘Eight laws of artistic experience’ -- a set of heuristics that artists either consciously or unconsciously deploy to optimally titillate the visual areas of the brain ..."

Attracted my attention: Even abstract art may employ ‘supernormal’ stimuli to excite form areas in the brain more strongly than natural stimuli.

Very interesting! They start with evolution and the hard-wiring of the brain, and end up with the Buddha. That's has to be quite an article in full!

"In addition to these three basic principles we propose five others, constituting a total of ‘eight laws of aesthetic experience’(analogous to the Buddha's eightfold path to wisdom)."

I
Very interesting! They start with evolution and the hard-wiring of the brain, and end up with the Buddha. That's has to be quite an article in full!

"In addition to these three basic principles we propose five others, constituting a total of ‘eight laws of aesthetic experience’(analogous to the Buddha's eightfold path to wisdom)."
I agree. A bit heavy, but I enjoy this type of thinking

Back