A Rising Star

Balaji

I have been busy and haven't done any new artwork recently. I am therefore posting one of my old works.

I made this quick sketch in 2005 in less than 20 minutes, with a ball point pen, on the back of an appointment notepad. This passionate sportsman was just making a mark in his field then and is now on the verge of retirement because of his frequent injuries.

Guess who 9.jpg

I agree with CaliAnn - that's excellent detail and shading for 20 minutes of work!

CaliAnn, Terri...Thank you.

I sketched this about 18 years ago when my hand was steadier (I would probably take twice as long, or even longer, to do this today), and I was probably "in the zone" that day while sketching this.

Two other factors would have helped. If you look closely you will notice that the shading is with single direction hatching, except on the arm, and a small portion under the jaw. And, I sketched this with a ball point pen which is almost like sketching with a pencil (except that you cannot erase your lines). With a ball point it is possible to change the line weight with pressure.

Both these factors save a lot of time while sketching.

With a ball point it is possible to change the line weight with pressure.

Both these factors save a lot of time while sketching.
I never thought about this aspect of sketching with a pen. That would definitely let you move along faster than selecting various graphite weights. If you're a skilled sketcher that would make a world of difference!

(Me, I keep a small electric eraser nearby!) 😆

I never thought about this aspect of sketching with a pen. That would definitely let you move along faster than selecting various graphite weights. If you're a skilled sketcher that would make a world of difference!

(Me, I keep a small electric eraser nearby!) 😆
The angle at which your pen's nib or tip makes contact with the paper also helps to control the line weight. And, I also keep and use a few throw away pens which are in varying stages of drying out.

Thank you Scamall. Yes, the need to plan ahead is more so with pen & ink/ball-point pen sketching. Even more so if one does not do any pre-sketching with a pencil before picking up the pen. Some years ago there was a very intense debate in the Pen & Ink forum oon Wet Canvas about the use of the term "pen & ink art" if a pencil drawing was created first and then the lines were inked. There were many who felt that this could at best be only a pen & ink rendering of a pencil drawing.

While I am not at all critical of the use of a pencil in initiating the image, I decided to start sketching directly with a pen from then on. And I found that my sketching actually got better. I do occasionally do a very light and simple pencil sketch to get the placement and proportions down to my satisfaction, but most of the time I sketch directly with a pen (and of late, with a watercolour brush too).

Thank you also for the link to the article. It is very nice.

Lovely sketch and a nice discussion of sketching. I still like to start with a pencil sketch for the main shapes but it doesn't have to be a fully finished drawing before I add ink.

Ayin & Kay...Thank you.
And Kay, I am glad that you too enjoy sketching directly directly in ink. I am now attepting to do that in watercolour too.

Back