A New Mexican Olive

OliveOyl

Hello to the old kids…and all the new kids on the CS block.

I haven’t posted since March because I finally moved across country from Massachusetts to New Mexico. I’ve been like the girl who cried wolf because I’ve talked about it non-stop for so many years. (That fact will mean something to a few of you and absolutely nothing to most of you.)

After postponing moving plans for a year because of covid, it then took another long while for the house sale to go though, to get everything lined up, and to coordinate all the million little details. That’s kind of what I did for a living so it wasn’t TOO hard to accomplish. Still, it’s been a busy and complicated time, filled with squabbles and stress.

But it’s also been the longest period in my (adult) life where I haven’t painted. The studio was packed away in June, we landed here in August, and lived in three different Airbnb’s. I kept “creatively busy” in these dumpy little places by working on collages…knowing I’d be using them for the basis of my next batch of paintings. We moved into our new house last month and I just started painting again - this week. Whew.

Anyway, this is enough yakking from me for right now….although not surprisingly, I have SO MUCH MORE TO SAY.
But probably nothing very interesting.

At least not about art.

But about “my” land? Oh boy and oh yeah…..

I wondered what happened to you. Welcome back! And congratulations on finally landing on your place!

Hi, glad all's well, and that you're here! Congrats on the move--they ain't easy!--and your new home. May you all prosper in it.

Hi Olive! I've come across some of your posts here, and wondered where you've been. :) It's nice to meet you at last!

I'm looking forward to seeing your work, new and older! Your collages sound very interesting!

Welcome back!

I was JUST thinking about you yesterday. No kidding! I wondered what was going on with you. I hoped it was nothing personal! :ROFLMAO: I am so happy to see you pop back up and to hear you have safely moved to NM!!! Woo Hoo!!!! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Hope it all works well, wishing you the best! New Mexico is my home state and I love it. Looking forward to your paintings and collages.

Thanks, nice people.
(And a big hello hug and kiss to you, Arty).

I’m not sure how much I’ll be posting though (oh, the horror!). I don’t do studies or sketches and work slow, so there isn’t great quantity. And nowadays, I don’t really have a burning desire to show my work and I’m sick of hearing myself talk (or seeing myself babble.) I guess whether looking at me from the inside or outside, I’m better in small doses.

Oh well.

I understand Olive. I get the same way. I'll often write my friends long emails and regret it later. Why was I so wordy?! I will regret it. I guess that's why I'm taking that book out of distribution. Ha. :ROFLMAO:

I guess whether looking at me from the inside or outside, I’m better in small doses.
Ha! I don't know you, but I love - and can relate to - the above sentiment :) Wish I could abide by that wise insight...
I hope your move brings you much happiness :)

Welcome home O.O! And happy relocation. So glad to have you here. ❤️

I'm new here, but can relate to how a move can upend everything. I moved to Massachusetts from South Carolina a year ago and it's been a great decision but things are only just now starting to feel normal again 😅 can't wait to see your art now that you're getting settled!

Hi Kay. I had to look at a map to see where Alto is. Are you by the Lincoln National Forest where it's all hilly and green....? You like it?

We were looking in the north central part. My dream was to live in a little adobe in Taos and stare out at the sagebrush and mountains. The hub wanted wi-fi access and modern amenities. But we soon realized Taos is way too isolated from the rest of the world, even for me, and too far away from the airport and amenities and we’re both too old and prissy and unrugged to survive. When I had to give this up..."my" Taos mountains...I cried.
taos.jpg

And I’ll tell you that I never cry about anything because I’m an unfeeling monster-woman. So that was big and sad.

Anyway, we loved Santa Fe too, but it’s ridiculously expensive and we knew we couldn't afford anything decent. So we landed where we found the best house we could and that happened to be in Albuquerque, our last choice. (What's a desperate house-seeking soul to do?) But at least we live far out in the most northern and western part called the West Mesa. Our cookie-cutter neighborhood butts right up against the Petroglyph National Monument and the Three Sisters Volcanos. Here's the kid and I walking to get our first view.
sisters.jpg

At the end of the trail, you can "look down" on the whole city sitting below the span of the Sandia Mountains. So because we can walk among ancient petroglyphs and dormant volcanoes and lava rocks and tumbleweeds and other new and strange things...I think it (southwestern suburbia) might be...okay.

Yes, the national forest is all around, and we are on #18 hole at one of the courses. Prior to this we had been in Ruidoso since 2002. Relatives and my work sent us often to ALBQ, a high crime city now, but one of the best. So glad you like it and the Sandia is great. I did spend 2 weeks at Taos to take the Intensive Studies Seminar with Katherine Chang Liu, Alex Powers, Skip, Toph, and Fran Larsen; cost of living there was really sky high. We build an adobe style home last year and really love it here. On location plein air is fun by Bonito Lake.

If I had a studio here in the town of Ruidoso or Capitan we would move full time, but the hub won't go for it. So since my studio is where my heart is and my new kitten Mini Pearl, we will remain permanent Texans, lol.

Attachments

• Pearl profile.jpg
    Pearl profile.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 108
Olive, I have some friends in Albuquerque who love it there, so I think you will too. That picture looks wonderful, a little bit like where we live. It's probably cheaper there though.

You are not a monster-woman. You are a monster of a woman. ;)

Hello to the old kids…and all the new kids on the CS block.

I haven’t posted since March because I finally moved across country from Massachusetts to New Mexico. I’ve been like the girl who cried wolf because I’ve talked about it non-stop for so many years. (That fact will mean something to a few of you and absolutely nothing to most of you.)

After postponing moving plans for a year because of covid, it then took another long while for the house sale to go though, to get everything lined up, and to coordinate all the million little details. That’s kind of what I did for a living so it wasn’t TOO hard to accomplish. Still, it’s been a busy and complicated time, filled with squabbles and stress.

But it’s also been the longest period in my (adult) life where I haven’t painted. The studio was packed away in June, we landed here in August, and lived in three different Airbnb’s. I kept “creatively busy” in these dumpy little places by working on collages…knowing I’d be using them for the basis of my next batch of paintings. We moved into our new house last month and I just started painting again - this week. Whew.

Anyway, this is enough yakking from me for right now….although not surprisingly, I have SO MUCH MORE TO SAY.
But probably nothing very interesting.

At least not about art.

But about “my” land? Oh boy and oh yeah…..
Hello Olive, it's lovely to read your post - a blast from the past - I'm glad to hear that you finally moved and are settled. I remember how you always made me laugh with some of your posts. I hope to see some of your work soon. I am still in Costa Rica, but like yourself about to move again to another province in Costa Rica, so looking forward to that. Have a wonderful Christmas in your new home.

Hi Katie!👋🏻

It’s nice seeing you around here and thanks for the good wishes. I remember when YOU moved and disappeared for awhile, too. Hope you have a good Christmas as well, and we get to see some more of your lovely work…

(Whether island or desert, we both have the sun now. Yeehaw.)

Back