A Copse

ntl

Contributing Member
A copse: I sat in the van and did this graphite sketch in November on site, did the wc in my studio a few days later.
C&C welcome
1606489085631.png

1606488931978.png

Good painting from memory. I have little success with that approach.
To my eye one of the foreground trees is a very light value and all the tree trunks have very low chroma in comparison with some of the other elements. It doesn’t seem quite right.

I commented on this in another forum. I love your foliage. Good job with the watercolors.

" Good painting from memory. I have little success with that approach."
When I do that I usually take color notes, but suddenly had to run. Most was dark except for a few light patches. A lot of artistic license here, :oops:

"To my eye one of the foreground trees is a very light value and all the tree trunks have very low chroma in comparison with some of the other elements. It doesn’t seem quite right."
P. Barrie, You're right, and thanks for saying. I am learning a bit about wc (--and oils, graphite, etc) I appreciate the crit.
I tried to show that foreground tree with a light gray/white trunk, obviously it didn't work...
You're right again, the other trunks are too light. I couldn't see that while working on it.

Arty, Again, thanks!

Quote “You're right again, the other trunks are too light”.
I want to help you understand some terminology and fundamentals in reference to your painting. Light and dark are values, chroma is color level or intensity. The gray trunks are low in color chroma, not necessarily too light in value. That is depending on surrounding value levels. Your flowers and bushes have a high chroma level in comparison with the tree trunks.

Back