2 sketches from last night

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
I have a problem when it comes to repeating sketches on a canvas. I've worked out it's about freedom of movement when I am developing
IMG_20230414_065501_2-01.jpeg
an image. And that copying exactly is something I just don't enjoy. I guess I'll just have to do more of it :) or ... just turn the front room into a studio. That'd work for me.
IMG_20230414_065422_1-01.jpeg

These are/were to be used in creation of another piece.

Interesting and fun to see. I don't like do overs either. Maybe just use the sketch as a jumping off point and don't try to copy exactly.

Interesting and fun to see. I don't like do overs either. Maybe just use the sketch as a jumping off point and don't try to copy exactly.
That's the point: sketches are the first or second ideas. For the final (?) piece you will probably use different materials (e.g. canvas, brushes, oils, acrylics, inks, etc) instead of pencils and paper. This means that you 'll have to solve other problems. So, it is better to look all this as a further step in the creation of the work.

From another point of view, art making isn't just looking for nice ideas, it is also about all the entire work load needed for the object produced. This makes me think about the musical composition: a composer doesn't just invent a nice melody. He has to elaborate the ideas, select the right instruments, write down the scores and musical parts and finally (the harder of all) check everything so that there are no errors when the orchestra is about to rehearse! (I read last week that time lost from such errors can cost many 100s or even 1000s of $$$ for a big orchestra).

I always enjoy your work - always unique and creative and just so YOU. I am so intrigued by that first one, I think it's awesome as it is and would proudly hang that on my wall!

That's the point: sketches are the first or second ideas. For the final (?) piece you will probably use different materials (e.g. canvas, brushes, oils, acrylics, inks, etc) instead of pencils and paper. This means that you 'll have to solve other problems. So, it is better to look all this as a further step in the creation of the work.

From another point of view, art making isn't just looking for nice ideas, it is also about all the entire work load needed for the object produced. This makes me think about the musical composition: a composer doesn't just invent a nice melody. He has to elaborate the ideas, select the right instruments, write down the scores and musical parts and finally (the harder of all) check everything so that there are no errors when the orchestra is about to rehearse! (I read last week that time lost from such errors can cost many 100s or even 1000s of $$$ for a big orchestra).
Thanks

I missed these until now, Jennie! As always, your imagination is awesome- two great characters! I'm interested in seeing where each of these ends up.

I missed these until now, Jennie! As always, your imagination is awesome- two great characters! I'm interested in seeing where each of these ends up.
Thanks Terri, I keep looking at them. Pretty sure I'll use them somewhere.

Back