Working On My Avatar

JSparrow

So, despite my chosen ID name, until now I have never drawn or painted a sparrow. In fact, most of my birds are waterfowl or those found in the marshes as apposed to song and garden birds. But I am determined to get a good rendering by my own hand for my avatar. The one I have just put up as my new avatar was actually a fail, and so temporary.

So then, until I achieve success, I’ll lay out my process here.

First are the graphite sketches. Now, I have to say, my worst trouble with sketching in graphite is that I am impatient with them, always in a hurry to just get on with the painting. Also, I tend to smudge my sketch work and that lack of crisp, clean work is what makes me hurry away from them. But here they are anyway.

20220227_002103.jpg

I can wish I had waited on this second one before I went forward with the first one. I like it better.
20220301_215131.jpg

Regardless, as soon as I finished the first impatient sketch, I transferred it onto Arches 140 lb. hot press paper. I wanted my first go at it to be ink and color wash. (And this is why what I have now is a fail!) I thought my Higgins India ink was waterproof, but no! The moment I touched water to my painstaking work at inking it with a dip pen, it began to bleed! To say I was displeased is to put it mildly. The result was a hurried application of acrylic over the lines and from there I was stuck with those lines, smudged ink, and a decision to paint acrylic on paper or just to scrap it.

I decided to try to salvage it with acrylics.

Well, I do NOT like the way my acrylics behave on the paper, plus the lines were thicker than I liked and made it hard to lay in the feathers. After a while it was clear the paper was overworked, and I had to abandon my obsession to get the patterns and texture right. So here is the final result for THIS rendition. My first painted sparrow. I like it somewhat, but I don’t love it. I almost didn’t share it at all. I will keep trying.

20220306_040226.jpg

8X10 acrylic on Arches 140 lb. Hot press paper

Have to say. I’m amused that at a distant or sideways glance, it looks like a long-legged spider. :LOL:

So, like I said, I'll keep at it--in between other projects, of course--until I am satisfied.

It is lovely anyway. If this one is a fail, then I really look forward to seeing the next one.😊

Your struggles were worth it! It came out quite well, even if it wasn't what you intended. Thank you for sharing your sketches; it's always interesting to see them. Acrylics on paper are a challenge for me too. They seem to sink in when I'd rather have the ability to create washes and I can never estimate how much darker they will be when they dry. :rolleyes:

Thank you for sharing everything you experienced while making this! I agree with Arty that it's helpful to read what you encountered and how you wrestled through it.

I can appreciate that the struggles can leave you judging your final piece harshly - but I find it charming! Love your palette, your textures and the posture of your sparrow. Hopefully it's one of those works where you'll look at it down the road and appreciate it more. ;)

Until then, I will be interested in seeing your next sparrow!

Thank you all for the comments!
It is lovely anyway. If this one is a fail, then I really look forward to seeing the next one.😊
I hope I don't let you down. 😊
I agree with sno. I think it came out wonderfully. ♥️ I also like reading your struggles with it and process--not that I want you to struggle, but I think it helps all of us. ;)
Thank you, I know the struggle is important to the process. I am in it to learn and thought I'd share as I go.
Your struggles were worth it! It came out quite well, even if it wasn't what you intended. Thank you for sharing your sketches; it's always interesting to see them. Acrylics on paper are a challenge for me too. They seem to sink in when I'd rather have the ability to create washes and I can never estimate how much darker they will be when they dry. :rolleyes:
This was exactly my frustration. The paper got too warped for me to put in more of the feather texture that I wanted to put and worse, kept me from being able to get down those perfectly straight wing lines. And the quick drying acrylics, well that is something I don't remember struggling with so much in the past but I do now that I've come back to painting and it is what is making me gravitate to oils instead. Right now I am trying to do a little of all the mediums to stay comfortable with them all. But I think my acrylics wont be going on paper any more. :unsure:
I can appreciate that the struggles can leave you judging your final piece harshly - but I find it charming! Love your palette, your textures and the posture of your sparrow. Hopefully it's one of those works where you'll look at it down the road and appreciate it more. ;)
You are probably right that I will appreciate it more later. This is almost always the case with my art, though there are some I will never learn to like. :LOL:

So here is the next sketch. This is a different sparrow. His cap is brown, not black and his face is brown as well so that the values are closer in this sketch than the little grey headed one.

I struggle with values and especially feel that in my sketches. I got too impatient to detail the leaves. I'd like to paint this one in oils, but thinking I might change up his face to the grey and black. Not sure yet.
Sparrow Sketch March 24 2022 b.jpg

Your sparrows are so beautiful, JSparrow! I love the pose and the gesture. Keep up the great work!

looks great :) Liquid acrylic inks are really nice for working on paper.. try them out ;)

Back