Type Faces and Fonts. Favorites, pet hates?

Marc

I can't help, but judge the appearance of everything. Typefaces are often something that draws my attention, but know little about. Apart from the fact that there sees to be very strong tastes among the experts. Personally I find late gothic Blackletter good to look at but almost impossible to read.

Gutenburg.jpg

1454-gutenberg-bible.png

I wasn't alone it finding it difficult because less than 20 years later this old roman style font started being used.

1469-Jenson-roman-type.png

Used for hundreds of years afterwards. Now there's so many, I couldn't count them. Many are hated. Two commonly disliked are Comic Sans and Papyrus.

Comic Sans.jpg
papyrus.jpg

Any personal loves or hates out there?

I did a painting of the word Opera for an opera lover who requested bold colours. To fit in with my design concept, I needed a typeface that contained a perfect circle for the upper case O and a nicely rounded lower case a. I settled on a font called Aharoni Bold:

Screen-2022-12-03_06-19-52.png

Opera (1015 x 760).jpg

I also used it in my Joy painting.

Joy 1.jpg

For normal work, I usually fall back on the old reliable Futura and Helvetica typefaces.

One of my many dubious activities is writing kiddie's books. For those I mostly just use Arial, which is simple and easy to read. But in this era of AI taking over everything, I decided to be the rebel, and for my latest ones I have taken to writing the stories by hand. I don't know if that can be called a font. :)

1a small.jpg

...Blackletter good to look at but almost impossible to read.
I agree on both counts. It's a lot of fun to try and write it, too. I'm not at all good with it, but it's absorbing to try blackletter and also half-uncial, another favorite.

I'm pretty picky about typefaces/fonts. However, when using everyday ones, I fall back on Calibri Light because I might be too lazy to find the perfect one for what I am working on when things are not all that important. But for designing, I pick something I really want and will usually purchase a new one each time, depending on the project. I have more fonts than I can count. There are more I hate than ones I like.

I did a painting of the word Opera for an opera lover who requested bold colours. To fit in with my design concept, I needed a typeface that contained a perfect circle for the upper case O and a nicely rounded lower case a. I settled on a font called Aharoni Bold:
A great choice with amazing results!

Brian: ... but the crow will bring some light ... ;-) I've read your book and the way you presented this folk tale is superb I think !
Hermes do you have a web site where you post your works? Really like the painted words .

Hermes do you have a web site where you post your works? Really like the painted words .
No, I don't have a web site. I am just an amateur painter and sculptor! :D Thank you for your words of appreciation. These word paintings were requests from family members, who like bright, saturated colours. For my own walls, I like darker, verging on black, paintings.

Brian: ... but the crow will bring some light ... ;-) I've read your book and the way you presented this folk tale is superb I think !

Thanks. :)
I'm hoping that in this new world where AIs can generate unlimited stories and illustrations on demand, my deliberately handmade look will still stand some chance. :D

Had one of those semi posh lifestyle magazines put in the letterbox a few days ago. Just tried to read it. The font is sort of a thin, very thin, slightly squashed sideways Roboto, but not actually Roboto. Too much hard work to read the articles. Looks nice, looks as though it would be easy to read, but its not. There's sort of a lack of flow somehow. I read the words, but can't remember the sentences by their ending. And I do think it's just down to a poor choice in font.

Back