Two Old Friends, all totally experimental.

Hausamann

I did this painting a long time ago (1992). It was my first 'let myself loose' painting. It was completely experimental. Doing things I never done before.

The background was all done in oil paint, followed by a turpintine wash. Then I painted the dead ghost gum trees, but the shading was all over the place. I knew I had to start again, so I decided to use the turpentine to wash it off. As I was doing so, I decided to control the degree of dissolving to create a sort of reverse painting. The lighter parts where bare gesso - I was experimenting how to shade the trees. Then I repainted the trees with a better understanding of how to shade them.

Two old friends scrubbing.jpg

Two Old Friends.jpg

Oil paint on plywood. Size: 1220 x 750 mm.

Interesting to read about the process that created this piec of art. I think it looks great, it has a very magical vibe to it.

Well lookee there- that really worked, didn't it?

I like the washed off one, too- but I bet it's a "happy accident" it worked- yet it did.

Nice save- well done!

Both are excellent. Maybe it was an experiment, but it looks like you clearly knew what you were doing. Beautiful pieces. ♥️

I really like this. I liked the transparency of the trees in the first version, it gave it an interesting ghostly atmosphere. I really love that mountain though. Experiments are great, aren't they? :)

I really like this. I liked the transparency of the trees in the first version, it gave it an interesting ghostly atmosphere. I really love that mountain though. Experiments are great, aren't they? :)
Thanks for giving me another idea about ghostly impressions. Funny how I never thought of that.

I liked those mountains too, until I read Sigmund Freud. Now all my old paintings have other meanings attached to them :LOL:

Back