Tomatoes

ntl

Contributing Member
Tomatoes, Transparent WC on ~4 x 6" on gessoed plastic panel.
I was gifted some thin, translucent, corrugated plastic panels of varying widths and lengths. (see post #205 in ART SUPPLIES thread in the ART TALK FORUM). Since it was already gessoed, I gave it a try. This are the results:
I see I was way off on the shape of the red one, especially! :oops: :) So maybe it's okay to learn/practice on. It's free, and I have gesso... C&C welcome, thanks for looking.

thumbnail_IMG_6876.jpg

But up close, my version looks blotchy. Who was it told a critic that his paintings were made to be looked at from across the room? :LOL:

thumbnail_IMG_6877.jpg

Beautiful, glowing warms in this veggie still life of the tomatoes. Easy to correct since it's on gessoed support.

Kay, thank you! It was somewhat easier to make corrections on this. I did slice a bit of red off the top of that tomato.

Donna, thanks. I guess the gesso gives it enough "tooth" to hold onto the watercolor.
Sno, thanks. That green tomato was so loud and brash I HAD to include it. It wanted top billing, but I held out! LOL!
CaliAnn, thanks for picking up on that sheen. That actually is a still green tomato.

I think you did an excellent job here. The color tones seem spot on, and I like the free-ness of how you handled all the brushstrokes. I have always liked your style. I can always tell it's your hand, which is a great thing--to have your own voice. Not easy in painting still lifes.

Back