To Jim's Field & Shed

Trier

Supporting Member
Here is an attempt just to see if I could still do PA.

From the edge of my property looking over to Jim's place.
Set up easel only 50feet from my door.

I had bought some fabric on sale that is used for outdoor cushion coverings. It is plastisized on one side and pretty heavy canvas; it is black, so I tried it out for this painting. Did it on the plastic side and the acrylic seemed to stick okay. Just taped it to a piece of plywood, no stretch.
18 x 24 ins acrylic/canvas
P1000051Jim'sShedM1.JPG

The dead tree is much lighter IRL. Can't make it true to the painting in this photo.

C&C needed.
Regards,
Trier

Trier, curious to see how you experiment with materials. That canvas is perfect for nocturnes. I'm glad you mentioned that the black tree is much lighter irl b/c I think this painting is truly beautiful. I love black paintings and black color. First I thought maybe you could add little bit - just a drop - of green to the trees but then I thought it would only ruin the beautiful black color and those lovely pinks/violets you have in. Besides you have green on the ground plane already. I like the shapes in the painting! Wonderful experimenting with materials, plein air and successful painting. Has it been long since you painted plein air last time?

I love how this turned out. I am surprised at how much I LOVE the dark colors. But it really do! I am bonkers for this painting. It might be my favorite of yours.

Trier, curious to see how you experiment with materials. That canvas is perfect for nocturnes. I'm glad you mentioned that the black tree is much lighter irl b/c I think this painting is truly beautiful. I love black paintings and black color. First I thought maybe you could add little bit - just a drop - of green to the trees but then I thought it would only ruin the beautiful black color and those lovely pinks/violets you have in. Besides you have green on the ground plane already. I like the shapes in the painting! Wonderful experimenting with materials, plein air and successful painting. Has it been long since you painted plein air last time?
Moscatel, Thank you very much for your in-depth critique.

I appreciate the time and thought involved and pleased that you like it.

The black fabric is a little difficult to manage, as it is a kind of stretchy an moves a little under heavy strokes with the brush or fingers. I will try it again for both a nocturne and a high key painting, just to see how it works.

Your thought about the use of green was exactly the way I considered it, and finally decided to go. I may yet do some glazing with a very dark thalo green to see how it looks, now that I have it in the studio and have the time to repaint it; something that I could not do in the field.

I can tell that you enjoy the PA experience as do I. The full experience to me means traveling to and finding a general area, then a paticular viiew, almost like hunting game. Then there is the unassisted physical set up, with carrying the gear to the site and setting up and maybe having to deal with weather, terrain and other factors; those are small victories in and of thamselves.

I last managed that that about 7 years ago, although 2 years ago I went to a designated group site, and with a lot of assistance from kind people, I got set up and painted 2 scenes in a partial abstract manner. I don't consider that as a really complete PA session.

Therefore, I tried this one, which as you read, only involved a journey of 50 ft from my door: but I did it solo.

Incidently, I could not get your Instagram link to work; is there another way to see your work?

Regards,
Trier

Last edited:
I love how this turned out. I am surprised at how much I LOVE the dark colors. But it really do! I am bonkers for this painting. It might be my favorite of yours.
Thank you Arty, that really makes me feel good! Very kind of you.

Trier, 7 yrs. ago! That´s a long time. Plein air is an inspiration and experience but also heavy work. I do feel the same as you wrote above about plein air. I mostly just go by myself because there is not anybody else interested around here, not even in my art club. But it would be more fun in a group.
I need to check what´s going on with the Instagram link. Here´s another link to my work but I haven´t added there the newest landscapes etc. https://sgonzalezfineart.wordpress.com/ It´s a blog but I´m lazy to write I only add pics. 😌 I´ve been thinking to give up with this blog and use only Instagram but not sure if it wise after all ...

Arty, very randomly these days. Hardly at all. I just found a thread that you started and I will read later what everyone writes there and maybe I come there and write more .. now a bit busy with other obligatory :unsure: stuff.

Trier, you are very creative! The black is intense but the bright flashes of colors work very well against the backdrop. It is always a pleasure to view your paintings.

Back