The Chair III .. Woody Goes Home

Enyaw

namuh
111.jpg

This is the opening verse of a Nfld song called Nobody To Welcome You Home
written by Fred Northcotte .. beautiful, but sad story ...

Today I returned to my homeland, the place of my birth
Be it ever so humble, to me it will always come first
But there's nobody left there, the people have all up an' gone
And sadly, I sat on the spot that our I house once stood on ..

This painting is the story of a tree who was transformed into a chair and then later in
life went back to see former friends and relations in the forest. The chair, Woody, was lost
There were so few and he knew none: not even one.

Actually it's a painting about me having no background for my chair so I put a painting
behind it as a backdrop and the above story entered my mind as I painted the subject
from life. It is strange how thoughts develop and the seeds that form them. The chair and
the woods reminded me of the song ..

11 x 14 inches .. oil on paper .. Alla Prima .. Knife/Brush .. Painted Dec 8/21​

I'm loving your chair series. Keep it going. I like the limited palette here. Very nice one!

Great chair series, love that your inspiration comes from such an ordinary place

Thank you Jessie....it took me years to get my art to that state. I used to envy artist who could turn a frying pan into art.

Thank you Ayin

Thanks Laf. Comes from a great mind: not mine. Some old gut chattering as he painted a chair. He had so many good things to say. Not about how to paint like him but about how to paint.

Back