Superstition Mountains---AZ

A

Aspenman

16x12 on a canvas panel using SoHo HB Acrylics & WMO'S - the sky is in Acrylics and WMO'S were used for the rest of the painting.

IMG-0660.jpg

Those mountains are breathtaking Richard! When did you start using WMOs? I have some, tried it on some cheap panels, and can't get them to do anything. They don't seem to "stick" to the panel, and any stroke I paint with the brush, leave streaks and seem to pull the paint across the board (not brush strokes, but streaks! - ugh). I am using holbein wmo. Can I pick your brain and ask if you have any suggestions or ideas of where I might be going wrong?

Those mountains are breathtaking Richard! When did you start using WMOs? I have some, tried it on some cheap panels, and can't get them to do anything. They don't seem to "stick" to the panel, and any stroke I paint with the brush, leave streaks and seem to pull the paint across the board (not brush strokes, but streaks! - ugh). I am using holbein wmo. Can I pick your brain and ask if you have any suggestions or ideas of where I might be going wrong?

I just started using them about a month ago, water should not be used in the painting process. The paint should be applied directly from the tube, not diluted in any way. Water & soap is used for cleaning your brushes. They are oil paints and should be used in the same manner.
From what you say, it sounds like you are diluting them if for some reason they thicken up, just slightly dip your brush in some linseed oil - very slightly
Other than that, water is an enemy!!!

You're right! I have been using water, trying to get them to "flow". Probably wrong approach. Next time I bring them out, I'll try them your way. Will bookmark this page so that I can refer back. Thanks!

You're right! I have been using water, trying to get them to "flow". Probably wrong approach. Next time I bring them out, I'll try them your way. Will bookmark this page so that I can refer back. Thanks!
You need to use your brush to move (push) the paint where you want it. The thicker the paint the better this is how you get the brush marks and texture

I really like those scraped? lines that turned out golden yellow in the foreground. The whole thing is so impacting and stunning.

A stunner! I love the texture buildup. Since I don't paint in oils, I never gave much thought about your application other than your descriptions, so I found your exchange with Cali very interesting. I like your scraped lines, too. Very vibrant colors here - a winner!

A stunner! I love the texture buildup. Since I don't paint in oils, I never gave much thought about your application other than your descriptions, so I found your exchange with Cali very interesting. I like your scraped lines, too. Very vibrant colors here - a winner!

Thanks 🙏 Terri