Sunbathing Rocks

Balaji

This is a 8.5" x 5.5" watercolour sketch, on 250 gsm Canson watercolour paper, based on a demo by Andre Kano (whose work I very much admire). I have always been terribly dissatisfied with the way I paint rocks. I have now decided to do something about it and this is the start. I also plan to revisit this sketch after some time to improve it.

Sunbathing Rocks.jpg

Nice rocks - and water - Balaji. I find rocks difficult to do too, especially in watercolor where hard edges can be lost. Mine end up looking like potatoes. I looked up Andre Kano’s work and he does rocks very well.

Good rocks. Yes I find them difficult to do also which is frustrating because it seems like they should be easy.

John, Ayin...Thank you.

I agree with both of you. Rocks look as though they should be easy to paint, but so far, I have struggled to get them right. I hope to be better at it in a month or two. In fact, I plan to revisit this painting in a week or two and see if I can improve it.

I'm another one who struggles with rocks. The trouble is they are in all my favourite landscapes. Yours look good to me!

Back