Sun Through the Trees

Sanlynn

I've been working on this for a long time. I'm not a landscape painter but I would like to do more landscapes. I would like a constructive critique on this one. It's not finished but could someone who does landscapes give me some advice?
thumb_IMG_2862.jpg

Cheers,
Sanlynn

I like the sun through the trees a lot. I am having a hard time seeing what's going on with the main focal point. Is it a cabin?

I like the sun through the trees a lot. I am having a hard time seeing what's going on with the main focal point. Is it a cabin?
It's actually a small pond with fallen trees, grass and reflections. I obviously didn't convey that well :oops:.

I like it! It just needs to have the sun encased a bit more and some sort of definition within the orange areas.

I think the reflections are off a little.
.As a guideline:
Whatever is dark on dry land will be lighter in the water.
Whatever is light on dry land will be darker in the water.

IMO, This is a great start! I really like the “white-ish-ness of the sun turning to the yellow as it diffuses.
I read the pond as a pond, but some of the lights and reflections confuse me. As I look at the center of the pond, I see how it could be seen as a cabin. I think adjusting the shadows and reflections of the rocks would help. I think the water in front of them should be darker, as well as the outer edges of the water, keeping that softness.

I think if the foreground trees on V left could be a bit darker and have a broken line of silver or gold running down the trunks on the sunny side, esp the two left ones. The center one of the three appears thicker in the upper part than what it maybe should.
Nice work!

I think this looks great already, especially since it's a difficult subject and I'm sure any photo reference is not showing the values correctly. If the orange areas represent sunlit grass maybe push them to either the lights for the ones that make the most impact or toward the darks with as few midtones as possible. It seems that the brightness of the direct sun would keep us from seeing midtones because we would be squinting and only seeing light and dark. Nice work, Sanlynn, and I see more landscapes in your future!

Thanks, everyone. There are some great advice here. I have had no formal training and knew there was something off but couldn't put my finder on it. Now I can hopefully improve the scene.

You're off to a fine start! I just wanted to tell you what a nice job you did with the palette, and showing that sun through the trees. Your vertical lines are stabilizing.

I would agree that the only thing missing is a more defined focal point, so the viewer's eye can rest on it. This is very pleasing at first glance, but my eye wanders around without being able to settle anywhere. You're almost there, and I hope you do more landscape work. 😀

I've been working on this for a long time. I'm not a landscape painter but I would like to do more landscapes. I would like a constructive critique on this one. It's not finished but could someone who does landscapes give me some advice?View attachment 17981
Cheers,
Sanlynn
Its a great effort, I see the pool and forest no problems. But as with other comments above, some small touches to define the sun on trees, the distanceing/reflections on the pond will bring it together. Its going to be a nice piece. What paper and pastels are you using?
Good luck with the modifications. Sit and look before you jump in, place yourself at that scene and as Wayne says, it will fall into place.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Murray. I will take all of the great recommendations above and try to incorporate them into the piece. As for paper and pastels, I'm using Pastelmat and a variety of soft pastels.

The light in this is beautiful. I love the painting. One easy definition I see is to make a waterline, narrow and light or dark or both depending on where the water meets land in light or not. That would set the water down and you can see the pond. You may find it finished. Again, I love it.

Thanks for that suggestion, Jo. I have the ammunition to finish this painting, now all I need is the time and inclination to get at it!

Back