SSB

Balaji

SSB stands for Single Stroke Bird.

Inspired by a Hazel Saon book, I loaded three colours (two shades of red and some yellow/orange) on my brush. I did lift the brush off the paper, but not too many times - perhaps 4 or 5 times in all. However I understand, that in painting, it is the number of times that you load the brush that counts as a brushstroke. Measured that way this was actually a two stroke bird since, as an afterthought, I did finally pick up a touch of pure crimson to drop into the image in a couple of spots.

SSB.png

This is very good. I really like how you used the different colours. I'd like to have a go at this. :)

Wow! You packed a lot of color and shape into those two brushstrokes. An excellent outcome for this exercise, which seems to me a lot harder than it sounds. Very good work!

Very impressive with the impact and simplicity. This could be the "how to" illustration in the book! I, too, was reminded of Oriental painting where just a few brushstrokes were utilized in order to portray the essence of the subject. I have Soan's book, The Art of the Limited Palette, and it is excellent.

Very impressive with the impact and simplicity. This could be the "how to" illustration in the book! I, too, was reminded of Oriental painting where just a few brushstrokes were utilized in order to portray the essence of the subject. I have Soan's book, The Art of the Limited Palette, and it is excellent.
Thank you Joy. The book that inspired me to try this is "10-Minute Watercolours".

Balaji, Here is a long interview with Soan on her book, which I bought after seeing it on YT.

Back