South Beach apartments, image transfer

Terri

Supporting Member
Also called: more fun with the gel plate. :LOL:

I was using an odd sheet of paper to clean my roller as well as the gel plate after several uses. I ended up with this very light background which also shows the older paint lifting off in odd areas, which is kind of the point of the cleaning process. Here I have these random blue, pinkish patches. It cleaned the plate beautifully and I liked the sudden background sheet I was gifted. @Donna T knows what I'm talking about! ;)

I honestly don't know what kind of paper it is - it's 8.5x11" which sounds like some cast off inkjet sheet that ended up in my scrap pile. I printed out the photo of this apartment building in South Beach, Florida with HIE (infrared) film, which gives the high contrast and the black sky. I brushed the scrap piece with gel medium and laid the printout face down, removing the paper backing after it dried.

South Beach apartments, IT.jpg

For a throwaway paper, I kinda like it! Thanks for looking.

Also called: more fun with the gel plate. :LOL:

I was using an odd sheet of paper to clean my roller as well as the gel plate after several uses. I ended up with this very light background which also shows the older paint lifting off in odd areas, which is kind of the point of the cleaning process. Here I have these random blue, pinkish patches. It cleaned the plate beautifully and I liked the sudden background sheet I was gifted. @Donna T knows what I'm talking about! ;)

I honestly don't know what kind of paper it is - it's 8.5x11" which sounds like some cast off inkjet sheet that ended up in my scrap pile. I printed out the photo of this apartment building in South Beach, Florida with HIE (infrared) film, which gives the high contrast and the black sky. I brushed the scrap piece with gel medium and laid the printout face down, removing the paper backing after it dried.

View attachment 43998

For a throwaway paper, I kinda like it! Thanks for looking.
I like the kind of rawness that this has, and the pinkish blue bits.

It’s so cool how this turned out, Terri! Waste not want not, right? You just can’t plan for those backgrounds and I love the random surprises too. You must feel pretty confident with your image transfer technique by now - they sure turn out beautifully!

Very cool. And I think I agree with Wayne. It's even less identifiable and more abstract. Landscape vs portrait? Maybe this speaks to preferences.

Either way, very interesting art Terri.

laf.art, Wayne, Donna, John, Grapes - thanks to you all for the kind and interesting comments! It's greatly appreciated. ❤️

Wayne, John - I agree that this works as an abstract. The building has great geometric shapes, there's repetition of pattern, and the expanse of pure black from the infrared negative works in that regard. I don't know if I could turn it and like it that way - from being the one who framed the photo of the building, it's harder to "un-see" it as a building, I guess. But I think I'll turn it from across the room and glance at it like that for a bit. Thank you for the suggestion!

Donna - thank you! I knew you'd get a smile from using a scrap cleaner paper as a background. It might be my favorite thing about these gel plates, that unpredictability aspect. Right in my wheelhouse. :LOL:

Back