Socks

Schuee

Hello.

Until I start my next project, a Guernsey, I am knitting myself some socks, using 4 needles. The wool is self-striping.

2663FEB9-C27F-46C5-B164-CBB71D2A4AD0.jpeg

Looks great! Will the wool socks shrink with laundering? How do you get the stretch?

They look warm and comfortable! Love the colors here.

I'm curious as well about laundering them. Hang to dry?

Looks great! Will the wool socks shrink with laundering? How do you get the stretch?
Thanks very much, Joy. They are knitted with sock wool which doesn't shrink or stretch very much. Shearing elastic can be threaded through the cuffs, or even knitted along with the wool, if I want stretch. 😎👋

They look warm and comfortable! Love the colors here.

I'm curious as well about laundering them. Hang to dry?
Thanks very much, Terri. I usually hand wash and hang to dry, but they do go in the washing machine occasionally. If they develop holes, these can be repaired by knitting or using a crochet hook. 😎

Thanks very much, Terri. I usually hand wash and hang to dry, but they do go in the washing machine occasionally. If they develop holes, these can be repaired by knitting or using a crochet hook. 😎
And that's the beauty of the craft - they will never really wear out! :)

I am intrigued that you describe the wool as self-striping. How does that work? Is it similar to Ikat weaving?

I am intrigued that you describe the wool as self-striping. How does that work? Is it similar to Ikat weaving?
It’s very clever, isn’t it, Hermes2020. This is how the wool comes. I think the dying must must be computer generated.

D3019F5E-2DBB-43CD-BAB9-885DBAABD99E.jpeg

When it’s knitted it forms stripes of colour.

Back