Sketch for sculpture

Rikard

I sometimes make plaster sculptures. Here‘s a sketch for what might be my next one. It‘s based on a photo of my wife with our first child. Wonderful memories of something which will never happen again.

IMG_8268.jpeg

To me that is a beautiful and interesting concept, very unlike my stuff. Do you usually make moulds, carve, or sculpt directly with the unset liquid plaster? How big are your sculptures usually?

To me that is a beautiful and interesting concept, very unlike my stuff. Do you usually make moulds, carve, or sculpt directly with the unset liquid plaster? How big are your sculptures usually?
I tend to start with a wire frame, and cover it with strips of fabric dipped in plaster. I then apply fairly thick plaster. When everything is dry I work with files, sandpaper and other tools to shape and even things out.
I have also experimented with air dry clay, and then paint the plaster in several layers on top of the clay.
No molding so far. Sizes around 15-30 cm, so fairly small.

I tend to start with a wire frame, and cover it with strips of fabric dipped in plaster. I then apply fairly thick plaster. When everything is dry I work with files, sandpaper and other tools to shape and even things out.
I have also experimented with air dry clay, and then paint the plaster in several layers on top of the clay.
No molding so far. Sizes around 15-30 cm, so fairly small.
So I guess for indoors only. I wonder how untreated plaster stands up to the elements,

So I guess for indoors only. I wonder how untreated plaster stands up to the elements,
Yes to be safe. Although I‘ve had a couple standing outside for more than a year. And haven‘t seen any damages. I think it‘s possible to apply some sort of sealant.

An update to the sketch. A less horrible left arm :) To my defence; the reference photo is not a complete nude. Some parts are obstructed by blankets and other bits.

IMG_8310.jpeg

I see what you mean. Some of my stuff starts out realistically and I use a tool called Poser Pro to get the body parts and their proportions right before I take it further into a more abstract direction. There is a demo download available if you want to give it a go.

Poser Pro download

I see what you mean. Some of my stuff starts out realistically and I use a tool called Poser Pro to get the body parts and their proportions right before I take it further into a more abstract direction. There is a demo download available if you want to give it a go.

Poser Pro download
Thats very cool, I will have a look. Although my sculpture usually turns out quite different than my initial sketches :) Partly I guess because I'm pretty bad at sculpting, but also because new ideas come when the work process changes.

Thanks Hermes for that suggestion. I was not aware of that.
Rikard, what a great concept for a sculpture. What a tender scene. Gorgeous!
I certainly understand having an obstructed view and then struggling to figure out what a body should look like. You could also get your wife to pose again- she can hold up a baby doll or something and hold it and you can get reference photos. The angle of the arm, especially. Size of head in relation to the rest of the body. You can try looking for photos too for reference. It’s better to create an understanding now on paper then before you start sculpting in the round. Get the bugs out. Besides, you can take photos of her in that position from behind and the sides, which will greatly inform you on your sculpture as you know. That’s my two cents. I really look forward to seeing your process. I hope you will share some of that with us and the end result of course!
I really like the sensitive drawing style here.🙂

Thank you very much PaintBoss. I did ask her to pose and I think it's pretty ok. I real life she is much thinner than my drawing. But for this sketch/sculpture, except for the head, I have expanded her a bit :)
I will post any progress, of course. But with small children to care for and work, time is working against me :)

The left breast and shoulder don’t sit right for me but the distortions are super. They give it that artistic touch.

The left breast and shoulder don’t sit right for me but the distortions are super. They give it that artistic touch.
Thank you for your feedback. I might have another look :) She is leaning slightly to her front right. Raising her left shoulder and angling her elbow a bit forward, as well as lifting/squeezing her left breast. Not a common pose :)

Wonderful drawing style. Can't wait to see your sculpture. Do you know Niki de Saint Phalle? You have a style similar to hers.

Wonderful drawing style. Can't wait to see your sculpture. Do you know Niki de Saint Phalle? You have a style similar to hers.
Oh thank you very much :) I have seen some of her sculptures. She is an artist whose work always puts me in a good mood. Happy colorful forms.

Back