Shades Of Grey

Enyaw

namuh
AAOil 190423.jpg

Wayne Gaudon Alla Prima Oil on Paper 11 x 14 inches ...

Nice Wayne!! I like how it's unified. Great shapes. One of my faves of yours.

I have to ask you though. Your paintings always seem very low chroma/low saturation. Is that the photo or do you intentionally do the low saturation tonalist thing.

So I guess you got the inspiration back!

Thank you Lamar and John

I use wax and it takes the sheen completely off. If I use less wax I could get a little or more sheen but I don't like it. This way I can put the painting in any light without reflections. I may have the odd piece that is higher chroma but I don't like colors right out of the tube. I mute a lot of my colors relying on value to do the job. As for inspiration> this was a landscape that failed and I fought with it for 2 hours trying to salvage a piece of work. A lot of the greys came from multiple scrape downs and the using the mud by adding a little color here and there. When I was done I was going to scrape it once more but decided to let it sit a day or two before I trashed it. Glad I did. It words well.

PS .. just bought a tube of black to make greys for adding to colors. Have not had a good swing at it yet as I have been using the black for black and white portrait studies. Never did portratis so it's definately a learning curve as I am not using predraw or tracing. I am just tying to apply values. Fun thing. I may post a few when I get them looking like a human.

So you use wax in the paint? I find black very useful. I recently noticed while trying to copy Van Gogh that he used a lot of black. And if you listen to some Youtube experts using black in a landscape will destroy your painting or something. You have to waste time making black from your other colors. No, use black and add some cool or warm to it if you want I say. And tell Van Gogh about using black. :)

Thank you Lamar and John

I use wax and it takes the sheen completely off. If I use less wax I could get a little or more sheen but I don't like it. This way I can put the painting in any light without reflections. I may have the odd piece that is higher chroma but I don't like colors right out of the tube. I mute a lot of my colors relying on value to do the job. As for inspiration> this was a landscape that failed and I fought with it for 2 hours trying to salvage a piece of work. A lot of the greys came from multiple scrape downs and the using the mud by adding a little color here and there. When I was done I was going to scrape it once more but decided to let it sit a day or two before I trashed it. Glad I did. It words well.

PS .. just bought a tube of black to make greys for adding to colors. Have not had a good swing at it yet as I have been using the black for black and white portrait studies. Never did portratis so it's definately a learning curve as I am not using predraw or tracing. I am just tying to apply values. Fun thing. I may post a few when I get them looking like a human.

Yes. I add up and over 50% wax to paint ratio. Not supposed to use that much but I am not taken by opinion until it proves itself and in twent plus years it hasn't.
I read that thing about not using black but black is similar to Pthalo Blue. It can take over your palette. You can learn to use it. I remember using it years ago in red and it is the ultimate darkener for red. I have one more finished piece (Red Flowers) without black which I will post tomorrow. After that I will add it to my palette.

A very subdued palette, but quite lovely! Grays (and blacks!) need their advocates, it seems. ;)

I love it! You have to really look at it to see the vase and flowers. Almost like a hidden picture. ❤️❤️

Thank you Sno.
The shallow depth of field works and it gives one time to see and enjoy the color dance by the little abstracts that make up the whole.

Thank you Marksmomagain and CaliAnn

Such a beautiful variety of grays in this! Cool grays, warm grays - I love neutrals in all their subdued glory.

Wow, I wouldn't think I would like the subtleties of something like this, but I really do. Really cool piece! ❤️

I also think it's a cool piece, but I do prefer your other flowers, where the contrast between light and shadow is more pronounced

Back