Sailboats

moscatel

This is a pleinair from beginning of this summer. I painted it early in the morning 7-9 am. That early there were not boats, they came later during the day. I took a photo and painted them in studio just to add interest to the scene because it was looking kinda boring. I didn't touch the pleinair otherwise.
33x23 cm, 13x9 inches, oil on a canvas piece.

C & C welcome!

1621_hauki1.jpg

Jo, thank you!
Donna, thanks! Before painting this view I had no idea how difficult it actually is to paint, there's so much water and the horizon is so far away.
I enjoyed my time out looking at this view early in the morning, just spending time there, people passing by were focusing on their own morning moment and didn't come close. The best was birds swimming by with their new borns. There's so much I could still add to the painting from photos I took.

Bongo, thanks!
I was at first thinking if I should work more on the foreground water transparency? Although, in real I don't think there was much transparent water there.

Yes, the boats are a great addition, and how you portrayed the scene..something about the colouring and style, reminds me of some masters’s work. Wonderful!

This really hits the spot. It has that classic Plein air look. The foreground is beautiful and the eye is lead via the boats to the islands behind. Lovely, oh the sea is pretty darn good too.

Bill (Scene Chaser), thank you!
Bongo, 👍 🤣
Murray, You describe this view well, I didn't see it that way until you mention! 👍 Thanks!

Back