Roseate Spoonbill Babies

JSparrow

They're chicks, I know. But I've been calling them babies for too long to stop now. :LOL:

Colored Pencil on 8X10 Ampersand Pastelbord
Reference Photo by Tim Comeaux

Finally done!

This one has been on the shelf, half finished, for so many long months that I forgot what my strategy was for completing it. Also, despite the fact I probably bought every premium pink pencil I could find out there with an eye towards drawing the adults of these beautiful birds in the future, none of the shades felt right for what I was seeing in the reference. So, not exactly the results I hoped for, but I'm pleased enough with it.

And as per our discussion on white pencils, in the end it was the Derwent Chinese White that went the distance. After a while even the Caran D’Ache white struggled to make the marks I needed. In person the whites add the nice glow-y effect that you want for these fluffy little babies whose pink is incredibly pale compared to their more vibrant parents. I will make a note of these results on the thread about white.
20220302_212201.jpg

Such a wonderful depiction of these (big) babies! Their nest and setting is also beautifully done.

And thanks for the ongoing discussion of your experience with the white pencils! That's good info.

Such a wonderful depiction of these (big) babies! Their nest and setting is also beautifully done.

And thanks for the ongoing discussion of your experience with the white pencils! That's good info.
Thank you, Lamar. I first spotted these (adult) birds as long ago as 17 years down in the Louisiana Delta. Though I believe they are even more prolific in Florida. They were so majestic flying over the bald cypress!

And once, at a canal at the edge of my own back yard, I watched one stretch his wing and catch the sunlight to shine translucently through it. I have wanted to paint them since but felt intimidated and lacking in the skill to do them justice. These babies were my practice for the plunge that I will make soon to paint the adults.

As for sharing about the white, I am just happy to have something to contribute here.

@Iain @Queen Bee Thank you for the "love". :)

Just gorgeous! All the details of this are fantastic. I like every part of this and it's an extraordinary scene. :) Very well done!

So lovely! I also appreciate, not only the babies, but the nest and background. The interplay of color between the birds and nest practically dances!

Beautiful! Love the composition with the three pink chicks framed by the nest and branches. Love those touches of blue.

Somehow I overlooked this one! What a beauty. ❤️ The blues in the nest are glorious, as are your other touches to make this so rich in color.

A charmer!

Back