Question Of The Day...

Enyaw

namuh
Would or could this be considered a tonalist painting? Not sure just what a tonalist does except paint in a very low key.
11 x 14 oil on panel
011cc.jpg

I think it would be called a monochromic painting. I found this " monochromatic painting is one created using only one color or hue. ... It can use different shades of one color but by definition should contain only one base color" Anyway not sure I'm right but thought I would share that. It is a lovely painting for sure, gorgeous in fact, are you thinking of trying your hand at something similar?

Thank you Katie. Actually it has different hues but the camera seems to lump them. This is my painting I did this morning.

Oh God, I feel like a fool ha ha ha! I nearly said it looks like one of yours. You've done a great job. How long did it take you, its lovely.

Very nice. I am sure you must be aware of artist Tibor Nagy - your work reminds me a little of his.

I did read the description of a tonal painting and it was clear as mud. :)

I have seen some but that was a time ago I must revisit Nagy.

Sno, whistler's mother is considered tonalist but if you search tonality paints most are very dark with only implied data.

Tonalism generally means that contrast in value... lights and darks... is more important than line, color, or other elements

. You painting is tonalist... and employs a limited palette... enough that it could be called monochromatic. This is a tonal painting that doesn't employ a limited palette:

BeFunky_Transfiguration_Raphael.650.jpg

This painting employs a limited palette but I wouldn't call it tonalist:

ee86ba9c.jpg

I thought of monochromatic, but I do think it's more tonal. I am not an expert at all, but I see it. It is a lot like Nagy, and it's a great painting. Love it!

Back