Portrait photography

Futurist49

I have had a Canon EOS Rebel T6 for several years, and have generally focused on nature and landscapes. I have avoided portraits since it involves human interaction, but lately I have become more daring in asking strangers for permission to photograph them - never been turned down (yet). These photos are from trips to the Middle East. In order, they represent: a shoeshine guy on the streets of Cairo; a Nubian felucca captain on the Nile at Aswan; a Coptic priest in Cairo; a souvenir seller at the Great Pyramid; first mate on the felucca; Abdullah, a Bedouin guide at Wadi Feynan preserve, Jordan. Comments and critiques welcome.

Bootblack.jpg
Felucca Captain.jpg
Coptic Priest.jpg
Pyramid Man.jpg
First mate.JPG
Abdullah.JPG

I love these faces! That last one especially is begging to be painted for a portrait!

It's great to see your work again. Have you been to Tunisia? The old part of Tunis city is very photogenic.

Nice set! (y)

Comments and critiques welcome.
Since you're asking: you definitely have a good eye for interesting characters. They each have wonderful, expressive faces. I love the casual pose of the shoeshine man with his cats: the folded hands and looking off camera are great! However, the post processing has left a discernible halo all around his jacket and foot, and it could benefit overall from a bit of sharpening. Similar issues with the next two subjects. Outdoor lighting is hard without someone to hold a reflector to throw some light on your subjects' faces. The best light is on #4 - looks great, and is my fave of the group.

You're so lucky to be able to travel and get these nice folks to pose for you. ❤️ I'd be afraid to even ask! Looking forward to seeing more from your journeys!

Not quite what i would think of as PORTRAIT Photos, but they are interesting, you are capturing people in places, most of us will never get the chance to visit...!

Back