Ofrenda

Artyczar

Have I shown this one? It's from about 2010. Ofrendas are not usually paintings, but I thought I'd make one after my parents passed.

This is oil on canvas with paper patterns and stitching (a bit of pencil too), 36 x 36 inches.

ofrenda.jpg

Really? Wow, thank you Sno. That's saying something!

Those were some of the "sweets" they liked. I almost glued pennies to it too, like a real Mexican alter (ofrenda). but I just left it the way it was.

Thanks again. :)

À little like the Chinese offerings for the afterlife. Love this and your dad’s eyes.
After reading your book, feels like I know your parents a little.
I love this painting.

When I saw the eyes I immediately thought of Henry Miller, a later photograph. I have yet to read the book.

This is a wonderful piece. I can see why this would be sno's favourite. It has so many elements to it. It's so rich, even before the sweets! And you have the drip down to a fine art. I haven't seen it used to such good effect; I mean, it is all in balance, and doesn't overwhelm the painting. (I could just as well be speaking of your oeuvre in general, as far as `i know it). I wonder how long this took.. I understand that it was conceived after your parents' passing, but did you have any preconception of the painting prior to starting...any insight into how it came together is fine. We even need time to do nothing, ironically.

Thank you Iain. The only thing I can think of how the concept came was just my surroundings where my studio was located. It was in a predominantly Latino neighborhood, where I've lived in most of my residents, but this studio (at the time) was set pretty deep into the culture. You'd see an extraordinary amount of art, murals, and Day of the Dead celebrations were a big todo. Ofrendas stood in people's businesses at times, out on the street in their gardens, etc. My parents died just before I got the studio there and I was paying respects to other people's family. It made me want to make something like it for them, but I am not Mexican and felt weird doing it, so this was my way of doing it--paying respect to them in a painting instead, based on an alter.

They were both bowlers, and they both had love of certain snacks, and that's what's usually on the alters, sometimes loose change, other "toys," lots of flora, flowers, candles, etc. They're face are drawn like this because it's how I always drew them, as caricatures, because they were.

This painting really touches me, maybe because it's both poignant and fun, but also it gives an insight into your sensitivity of portraying below the surface.

Just noticed that they are both sleeves. Is that you, sitting on a chair on the left? One of my favourites also. I also love the size, must be impressive to stand in front of it.

it is very beautiful and impressive even in photos, I imagine myself live, beautiful job.

Thank you very much Bizzy and Maybe. And joe too. I appreciate your awesome comments. :)

Thanks Jocelyne. That is a hotdog sitting in a chair. It's an old hotdog company that my dad liked in Pennsylvania called Yako's Hotdogs. :)

Back