New Bag Pieces

Artyczar

I finished these today. Mixed media on grocery bags...

Pinky:

pinky72.jpg

Scrutiny:

scrutiny72.jpg

These are great, Artyczar. I am looking forward to seeing how this series develops. It is a good thing you decided to follow your wont.

Thanks Iain. It's funny how I'm going through the motions even though I still feel unsure about it, but that's the way it's been with me lately. I'm about to work on that other oil painting next and will get back to the bags shortly. They actually take a lot of time and I need to start taking progress photos next time I do one.

Yet it doesn't appear to the detriment of the above. I think it is good to move between practises (as I have lately), if only to keep things interesting for ourselves.

The first piece conjures up for me an aural hallucination!

Last edited:
Thanks, and yes; that's about all I am able to do. I can't help it. I think I've given up on making it a "problem."

Glad you got going on these again. They are colorful, fun and happy. I really like that you kept the handles of the bags too.

Thank you PSA. What you said about the bags inspired me in part to get back to them, so I thank you. ❤️ The handles are part of the shape I like so much. I purposely cut the other part of the handle in half and glue them to the widest part of the bag near the bottom to have those little tags sticking out on the sides too.

Strange thing, but I always admired the American brown paper grocery bag, and the way it had to be carried, not having handles. Who cares if was impractical, it looked good.

As a bag, I need the handles.
I like what you did here.

I see you're not concerned with the wrinkles and creases. I used to do studies (crayon or oil pastel) on bags, and even with "just" studies, those wrinkles bothered me. I tried ironing them out. I never thought to paint or do collages with them.

They are ironed three times--before, during, and after. I did the best I could, but I have to "let them be" how they are I guess.

Ian the brown bags without manglie from me use them in stores when you buy sandwiches or bread.
put inside the plastic ones with handles.
these that you make aside beautiful bringing to reuse are also a very practical and useful thing, they would replace the envelopes.

Artczar(sometimes clothes stores have bags of similar size and thickness but not so beautiful, I particularly like Pinky) and Psa have made works of art that bring beauty and a lot of usefulness, great.
Psa , strong, wonderful the Christmas version. beautiful even with the tree but for me the puppet is super

Last edited:
"I see you're not concerned with the wrinkles and creases. I used to do studies (crayon or oil pastel) on bags, and even with "just" studies, those wrinkles bothered me. I tried ironing them out. I never thought to paint or do collages with them."
My bags were generally pretty wrinkled, and even those wrinkles would not come out. The creases always looked so bad.
I did not mean to be disparaging of your work. Probably making a bad situation worse, I meant to convey that your bags look good, wish mine had...

No worries ntl. I didn't feel were being disparaging at all. I meant I've accepted "flaws" of the bags, warts and all! :LOL: I iron them so that the paint and the collage will stick as best as they can.

Back