Mirror Mirror

stlukesguild

I might as well look at a third Snow White themed painting as all three were done in a row. This painting, Mirror Mirror, is one of the paintings I documented best in progress. Once again, I did not begin with the Snow White theme in mind... and once more I began with the idea of two standing girls who might be best friends or sisters (or lovers?)

1.jpg

Once I had the pose locked in (or so I thought) I began work on the background. Everything is first primed with a matte acrylic Burnt Sienna/Tuscan Red mix.

2.jpg

I decided to not employ my usual black & white checkerboard and went with blue and white, instead thinking of using a predominantly blue color scheme. I next completed the triangle patterns before admitting that I really did not like the figures at all.:mad: So I painted out the figures completely:

3.jpg

This painting really evolved in an unusual manner for me. After completing the background I then painted out the figures... then I redrew the figures... but only the bottom half.:confused:

4.jpg

At that point rather than dropping the painting down lower and working on the top of the figures... which would make sense... I gridded off the patterns which I had painted out and then filled them in again.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Before fully rendering the legs in pastel I would paint over the red primer with that light tan ("Soft Suede"). After the background was complete in the lower part of the painting, I finally dropped it down lower and finished sketching in the figures and then the space around them. At this point, it was clear I was headed back to the Snow White theme.

7.jpg

10.jpg

I decided upon a theme of Snow White and the Queen perhaps after having buried the hatchet. Snow's a bit of a "bad girl" now... scantily dressed (if at all) and dragging on her cigarette while the Queen holds a hand mirror (or is it a paddle?) I decided to build upon the earlier painting of Flora and add a halo with flowers around Snow which would become thorns around the "Evil" Queen.

12.jpg

At this point (above) I've blocked in/primed Snow's face in acrylic prior to beginning work with pastel.

continued...

The two faces of Snow and the Queen came together quickly over a single weekend. Initially, Snow had a red ribbon in her hair... but I changed this to a softer peach/rose so as to not draw the eyes away from the faces and also as a visual rhyme with the peach/rose-colored oval shape below.

13.jpg

The oval area was painted a peach/rose (rather than the initial almost hot pink). I first laid down a coat of blue-green similar to the colors used in the triangles. I then painted the peach/rose over top... and then sanded this to create a weathered surface akin to an old fresco. All of the colors are actually the result of layers of several different colors. At this point, I got rid of the blue checkers which harmonized with nothing and returned to black & white.

19.jpg

I ended up clothing Snow and the Queen in what might be lingerie... or swimwear for a day at the beach.

BeFunky_24.jpg

21.jpg

I was looking a lot at the time at the paintings of Danny Galeote who is heavily influenced by early-20th century art... including artists like George Tooker, Thomas Hart Benton, and Reginald Marsh.

DG-SummertimeBliss1-sml.jpg

I ended up "borrowing" the same single curl from my previous painting of Snow White

16.jpg

23.jpg

17.jpg

The Queen still had elements of "naughtiness" framed with the sharp thorns and holding her mirror/paddle while glancing with a slight grin at Snow.

Mirror Mirrorfinaleditfullsize.jpg

Last edited:
Back