Mental Exercise

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
Challenge: draw profiles facing non-preferred side. I usually choose to draw profiles facing right. It was quite funny to try and get correct curves, angles and shadows for profiles facing left. Using a common theme, partial female faces, I created 2 with pencils and a thin drawing pen. Almost no corrections.
IMG_20230202_204343_1-01.jpeg
IMG_20230202_204317_1-01.jpeg

An interesting exercise, Jennie! With wonderful results. Both have a unique look and style that could easily grow into larger works.

wonderful, both beautiful, I always have to do it, I always do the left reference, I can't do the right one, and in any case for each face, I always have to use a photographic reference

Thanks everyone. I 'did another course'! that used a technique I'd not seen before. Simply put, you do a simple sketch, use tracing paper as a layer and draw on them, until you have built up an image you like. Haven't seen the final steps yet. They scan them into photoshop and edit from there. I scanned the first image and then created the layers manually. I think this method will help me.
ProfileFull1_20230203.jpg
ProfileFull4_20230203.jpg
ProfileFull5_20230203.jpeg

JennieJo, the result is splendid, I really like it, interesting to read the process. thanks .

I'm not certain I understand the entire process, but the end result is certainly beautiful. Very interesting.

I'm with the rest .. not sure if I am seeing a digital or a paint .. pretty cool whatever it is.

I'm not certain I understand the entire process, but the end result is certainly beautiful. Very interesting.
I'll try again ;) think like you're working in photoshop or any other program that has layers option. Each piece of tracing paper is a layer. Each piece of paper alters an aspect of the visible image as you mark it - draw, paint ... When you're done you scan all layers together to get a single image. That you edit or print.

I used the paper layers to let me try out options like colours, contrast ...

Okay - that's much more clear, thank you! Sorry for being dense. :LOL: But it actually sounds like a very clever way to experiment and you can use or discard an idea without leaving a mark.

Okay - that's much more clear, thank you! Sorry for being dense. :LOL: But it actually sounds like a very clever way to experiment and you can use or discard an idea without leaving a mark.
I think that's why I liked the idea. Especially as I did a lot of digital stuff way back, when the Way Back Machine started. My synapses said Yes. This makes sense.

But, I think my ability to list 'how tos' went when I retired!

Beautiful result. I'm with Terri, not sure I get the process. It is quite stunning though ❤️
Thanks CaliAnn. Have tried again with the process. I think it's typing on a device that does it. I just want it done!

Back