Make the Artistic Connection 1

Hermes2020

Since the Google image search makes identifying artists relatively easy, I want to try a different type of art puzzle that may be a bit more challenging. I think this probably still fits under Art History.

This costume and handbag can be connected via three prominent figures in the worlds of visual art, design, and music. Any ideas?

Costume.jpg
Handbag.jpg

Last edited:
Other than recognizing the Coco Chanel handbag I am stumped. I thought maybe the costume was from the opera Pagliacci but it doesn't look like a match (and I know nothing about opera.)

That's a good start. Which composer springs to mind when you think of Coco Chanel?

Think ballet, not opera.

It seems that Gabrielle Chanel had a connection to the Ballet Russes. She designed costumes that the dancers could move in. They previously had to wear corsets while dancing! She had associations with Igor Stravinsky and Pablo Picasso. I haven't come across anything like the sketch you've shown and I'm curious about its significance.

It seems that Gabrielle Chanel had a connection to the Ballet Russes. She designed costumes that the dancers could move in. They previously had to wear corsets while dancing! She had associations with Igor Stravinsky and Pablo Picasso. I haven't come across anything like the sketch you've shown and I'm curious about its significance.
Yes, that's right. Chanel and Stravinsky actually had a love affair. The other connection I was after is that the costume was for Stravinsky's ballet Pulcinella. It was designed by Picasso, so that is the visual artist I had in mind. Pulcinella is one of my favourite pieces by Stravinsky and is worth listening to.

This is really interesting: thanks Hermes! Maybe it's a good thing that Picasso stuck with painting for the bulk of his income and let Coco design clothing. :)

This is really interesting: thanks Hermes! Maybe it's a good thing that Picasso stuck with painting for the bulk of his income and let Coco design clothing. :)
:ROFLMAO: You're right.

I find it interesting that Picasso seemed unable to appreciate music.

Donna, I like Picasso's designs for Eric Satie's ballet Parade very much. In particular, the male dancer and his costume in blue and white, starting at 14:25, turn my knees to water.

Those are beautiful costumes and I can definitely see the Picasso in them! Even the horse was artfully done.

Back