Lukas 1892 watercolor brand.

E.J.H.

Does anybody have experience with this brand of watercolor? It´s a bit of a long shot, I think it retails mainly in Europe.
Thing is I am considering investing in some tube watercolors, this brand retails in a city not thát far away (just 250 km..).
Have been looking at some reviews online, they are ambilvalent, some like it, some report chalkiness. About a year ago year I picked up two Lukas halfpan colors that weren´t in my current set, magenta and cerelean blue. Doesn´t seem anything wrong with those.
The other option I have is ordering from Reykjavík, then I´d have options like White Nights (the paint I use now is their student range, Sonnet).

I don't have personal experience with the brand, but maybe the different reviews come from the two different quality series they have.
As many manufacturers they have a studio line and a fine artist line and chalkiness sounds like typical studio colors.
You didn't write which one you tried or want to buy.

Ah yes good point, I want to "upgrade" to artist grade. I like my Sonnet set well enough, but some of the pigments are fugitive, the orange and violets being the worst. Also the colors I like and use most are starting to run out.
The 2 halfpans I bought are artist grade.

The best page about watercolor pigments and brands I have seen so far is

You can go to every color shown at the top and see the different pigments, which brand is using which pigment and what name is the manufacturer uses and the different attributes as transparency, staining strength, ....
It is a bit old now and newer colors may not be shown but it is a good source to make a decision what colors to buy.
Lukas is one of the brands included.

Yeah, agree, Handprint.com is one of my favorite websites, a fantastic source, when it comes to pigment info and color theory.
I had seen the info on Lukas, he was not thát positive (putting it mildly). His review of Lukas paint actually made me very hesitant to buy it.
His review is from 2004 and brands change their formula´s, alter pigments they use etc , so I was actually hoping for people who have some recent hands on experience with the brand´s watercolor.

Well, as I was recently in the store that sells Lukas, I took a look at them, and decided against buying tubes of this brand. Simple reason, the price per ml is too high imo. I can order White Night paints for less, with the added bonus that the tubes are smaller.

I've not tried it but probably will just to see how it behaves on both hot and cold press papers.

Back