Jarron Blanco del Pueblo

moscatel

White Vase from the Village, "Jarron Blanco del Pueblo", 50x35 cm, oil on canvas. (about 20x14 in)

I don't think I posted this painting yet. I stopped working on this one but the white vase could have been done better in my opinion. Maybe I return working on it later. I added the grape leaf last to add balance to the painting. Painting from life.

1525_sirkka_linnea.jpg

Last edited:
I agree about the jug but at the very least, it is something you can salvage and turn into a very good piece.

Thanks Wayne, I should work more on it. Values are very subtile in a white material like this. Canvas is good so it'd allow more work.
You have convinced me! 😊 👍

I would be thrilled if I could not only paint a vase like this but do it in white. You have shaded it so well and the edges on the darker side are so beautifully softened as they turn to the background. The shadow from the grape stem is such a nice touch. It’s a beautiful, classical still life!

How gorgeous this is. The vase isn't bothering me at all. I keep looking at those grapes and am astonished at how perfect they are. And the handle of the drawer. The small leaf. It's your details that get me every time.

You're an amazing painter! I'm a big fan. ❤️

I think you’ve done a beautiful job here. I think you have very, very carefully adhered to the values you have seen. It looks dimly lit and so we’re not getting the strong highlights. I feel like I know the texture of that white vase. I know exactly the lighting and the feel of that vase that you have painted. So, people may be used to the stronger highlights and the values are so subtle that it seems dim in comparison. If you decide to start using more highlights, a stronger light, you will have to apply it equally around the painting where suitable. And of course there will be darker shadows. I am very impressed. Just to be capable of doing this from a photo let alone life, is an achievement. Wow! So I guess you have to ask yourself what do you think it needs to be finished? It’s too good to let sit gathering dust somewhere.

Thanks, PaintBoss!
Everything you say makes sense. Maybe I could leave this jar alone and better maybe start completely new one to an other canvas and another light where highlights show stronger. I definitely don't want to loose dimmed light. I kind of like this light .
There was one person who wanted to buy this painting but I didn't want to sell because I understood that he wouldn't pay hardly anything for it so I decided to keep it. Ha, maybe I should have asked at least how much is he's thinking to pay. How unthinkable we the artists are sometimes 😆.
Thank you for your words, they gave me lot to think. 🙏

By the way, the grapes 🍇 are called Moscatel grapes in Andalusia. Now you know where I get my name 😁.

🙂
I think you should leave it too. I think you did it very true to the environment it was in. In fact, I think you were able to paint something that many people struggle to do. It wasn’t just items looking so realistic. That is tricky enough. I’m talking about the very close values of a dim setting. Habit and our brains want to do so much more then just be true to the scene. If we’re not careful and we don’t really keep disciplined and just paint what we see, we will end up putting in higher values, higher contrast and highlights. Even though they’re not there. I have always wanted to do a late evening scene before the sky is black, but it’s almost black. That dark blue. Not only is it nice to see as far as a painting goes, I recognize the challenge of fighting what my brain wants me to put down and what my eye actually sees. In that lighting you have to very carefully look at the values and the colour you’re actually seeing not what your brain wants to tell you. The house might be white in the day but it probably blue purple now, etc., and some of the transitional spaces could be tricky. Like what an I actually seeing? What colour? So it takes discipline and a good eye to do what you’ve done here Mr. Grapes!😁
Two thoughts. The flat black background might be throwing off the rest of the painting. Even a slight hint of drapery might help. And that’s just a little bit of highlight. Or put a little red or phthalo green into that black background so it’s not flat. The other thing. I think when you varnished this, this painting is going to come to Life a little more.

Last edited:
Thank you for your encouraging comments!
I actually took last night the painting under natural light bulb and it shows little more reddish. I now remember I did do a back + red mix glazing over very black background because it bothered me. Under light the red shows but when not directed with light it's quite black simply.

Varnishing is a good idea! I didn't varnish it yet because I thought the painting needed some fixing but maybe I should varnishing it and move on to the next vase. There was s moment when I forgot the varnishing completely and it's just standing on the piano still.
It will be interesting to see the difference before and after. This thing has now been drying enough so I could go with real varnish and not retouching varnish which I normally use.

The drapery idea 💕 is what I like most but it can be a lot of work and very delicate values but maybe I take drapery to the future paintings. I've done it (lace) to other paintings with lots of light and I was forever stuck to the lace. So, I'm now reluctant to do it again.
I think I don't have good enough brushes for painting lace.

~ Mrs. Grapes 🤣

Last edited:
Back