It Is Finished

Hausamann

Many artists throughout history have painted the crucifixion scene. I never thought I would give it a go too. The idea came to me while studying photos of a human skull. The idea was of looking out through the eye sockets, from within the skull. To get a picture of the crucifixion from Christ's point of view. Even more so, a view from Christ's "I am" reference point, his spiritual self, the 'observer and witness'. The idea that Christ, just before his death, would have experienced merging with his spiritual self and therefore knew he was about to pass away. The painting is about that moment in time.

I came across a piece of scripture that tells of this moment. And I used it as a guide for this painting.
John 19:28-30 . . . 28) After this. knowing that everything had now been accomplished, and to fulfill the Scripture, Jesus said, "I am thirsty". 29) A jar of sour wine was sitting there. So they soaked a sponge in the wine, put it on a stalk of hyssop, and lifted it to his mouth. 30) When Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished". And bowing his head, he yielded up his spirit.

crucifixion-1.jpg

Detail
details.jpg

Weird, but not so far out there it is not relatable.

Your usual detail is present, with the unusual pov strengthening the whole.

Thank you @JStarr and @Enyaw for your honest comments.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the painting was done in 2004. Oil paint on plywood. 906 x 560mm.

Wow! So well rendered and super original. I really love your style and your quirky mind. I mean that as a compliment. ;)

That is amazing and certainly tells the story. I can't believe how you even got the crossed vision in thee. ❤️ (y)

Many artists throughout history have painted the crucifixion scene. I never thought I would give it a go too. The idea came to me while studying photos of a human skull. The idea was of looking out through the eye sockets, from within the skull. To get a picture of the crucifixion from Christ's point of view. Even more so, a view from Christ's "I am" reference point, his spiritual self, the 'observer and witness'. The idea that Christ, just before his death, would have experienced merging with his spiritual self and therefore knew he was about to pass away. The painting is about that moment in time.

I came across a piece of scripture that tells of this moment. And I used it as a guide for this painting.
John 19:28-30 . . . 28) After this. knowing that everything had now been accomplished, and to fulfill the Scripture, Jesus said, "I am thirsty". 29) A jar of sour wine was sitting there. So they soaked a sponge in the wine, put it on a stalk of hyssop, and lifted it to his mouth. 30) When Jesus had received the sour wine, He said, "It is finished". And bowing his head, he yielded up his spirit.

Very nice. Hope to see more in this theme.

Back