Is this possible

Bongo

this is a short video of an ink line drawing made with a "sumi" type brush. I have no experience with ink and brush but it seems that brush holds an excessive amount. I'm hoping someone can explain

Yup
It leaves me lackluster, but I saw a gallery full of it years ago in the art gallery of Ontario. In the early 2000s. I wish I remember who the artist was. But was a large room full of large canvases that had a great big orange wine going through them directions. I can’t remember if it led me around the room or not. Having art appreciation and art school I need to try to look for what the artist was trying to demonstrate. But it left me cold.
It was not this one bought by the art gallery of Canada for 1.8 million in 1989 called Voice Of Fire by Barnett Newman. You might call it one line. at the time, citizens are outrage tax dollars went to purchasing this piece. And so much money. He was more than an artist his real skill was how to make money. All the way to the bank! People protested by making T-shirts because they thought it looked like T-shirt art.
IMG_6219.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup
It leaves me lackluster, but I saw a gallery full of it years ago in the art gallery of Ontario. In the early 2000s. I wish I remember who the artist was. But was a large room full of large canvases that had a great big orange wine going through them directions. I can’t remember if it led me around the room or not. Having art appreciation and art school I need to try to look for what the artist was trying to demonstrate. But it left me cold.
It was not this one bought by the art gallery of Canada for 1.8 million in 1989 called Voice Of Fire by Barnett Newman. You might call it one line. at the time, citizens are outrage tax dollars went to purchasing this piece. And so much money. He was more than an artist his real skill was how to make money. All the way to the bank! People protested by making T-shirts because they thought it looked like T-shirt art.
View attachment 42006
Could have been a Rothko.

I was there..as well one big room with a rope on the floor and a ladder on a wall …. A bed sheet with the sticky little reminder dots stuck all over it .. I left thinking how much space was wasted on such garbage .. my opinion but it still has not changed.

You're missing the point of my question. Not asking what kind of "art" it is, but - if you watch the video he paints it with ONE BRUSH LOAD OF INK - I don't paint with brush and ink, but it seemed to me pretty remarkable that you could paint one continuous line like that without lifting or reloading the brush.

Yeah, it is amazing what they can do. That’s practice and control with a great brush.🙂
I was thinking of what other one line art I had seen. Literally in response to “one line art” in the post above mine. The art in the video you shared has much more dynamic and satisfying line work. There are many examples of Asian traditional artwork that has beautiful paint brush work that is quite minimum, but has that expressive ability. And often achieved, and very few brush marks. Often in one go.
Sno, no it was not Rothko who I enjoy. I’ve tried finding any mention of the paintings in their collection and I’m not finding anything, but this was years ago that I was there. Maybe it was a travelling exhibit. Think of a large white canvas like 8 to 12 feet I’m guessing, and it’s just white and then someone has taken a band of orange in a line across the canvas. Just as if you had applied painters tape and created a stripe about eight or 10 inches wide and painted orange. Just across the canvas. In different variations. Up high or down low. Sometimes it would look like an EKG strip with a sharp point, anyways he had multiple paintings around the room of this orange line. It just was left me feeling empty to looking at it.
If you search one line art in YouTube, it comes up with a lot of really great videos of exercises and artists doing that kind of work. It does not have to be with the big brush. They promote some of this as good exercises for artists and also for calming the mind.

Hannah uses sumi and this is possible. If you're making your own ink and you know just how to mix it and get it on the brush, as well as loading the brush, this is possible.

EDIT! I just showed this to her and she said "NO way!" That the brush must have some kind of cartridge feeding the tip. She said "think of watercolor. That is impossible."

:ROFLMAO:

I'm thinking the same as Hannah - but according to the link Wayne left it's possible with a Kafka liner brush (she uses a #8) and Liquitex Acrylic Ink.

I will be getting one of those brushes

Pilot parallel pen?
Is it similar? Do you like it? Have you used it? I haven't but I've seen some drawings by artists who sometimes use it like Dylan Sara

Back