Inspired by Nechis

john

Barbara Nechis that is. I saw this video of her doing a demo in front of the AWS and I very much liked the resulting painting. That was a few years ago and since had tried twice to follow what she did and failed miserably. It was frustrating. Her technique and decision making and patient discipline eluded me. It's fascinating to me how she did it.

Anyhow I recently had another go at it. After doing oils I wanted to do watercolor again. And abstract. This time I got a little further along with following her before veering off into my inevitable landscape. I guess I just can't or don't really want to paint a pure abstract.

This was fun to paint. I might keep doing something like this for a while. Still not sure about it as usual, it's too soon, I don't think I like the tree but I blame Barbara because she did an effortless tree thing in hers. This is a full sheet of Arches. It was nice to paint large for a change. C&C welcome. How about a swimmer on the lower right? Swimming toward shore. My friend said it would be contrived. I'm still not sure what contrived means in art. Isn't it all?

1720301302485.png

I love watercolours like this one! Well done. Abstract but not too much so :) It‘s a style that reminds me of John Marin a bit.

I don't know who Barbara Nechis is - but I'm glad you were inspired by her to do this painting.

Abstract or landscape, I'll let you tell me. All I know is that the instant my eyes fell on it I thought of Chagall.

John,
Very lively and great color.

Thanks Wayne. Maybe too much purple, and I might try greying the colors a little more next time. I think for an abstract to hang in a living room it might help to be less boldly colorful. But color is fun to look at. It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma or something. :)

I love watercolours like this one! Well done. Abstract but not too much so :) It‘s a style that reminds me of John Marin a bit.

Thanks Rikard. I seem to favor semi-abstracts over complete abstraction. Hmm John Marin, know the name and have seen his work and looking again yes I see a resemblance, thanks.

I don't know who Barbara Nechis is - but I'm glad you were inspired by her to do this painting.

Abstract or landscape, I'll let you tell me. All I know is that the instant my eyes fell on it I thought of Chagall.

Thanks Terri! Chagall!? I'll take it! :)

Funny thing is that it looks nothing like the painting demo that I was following.

This is exceptional! Wow, John, I’m so glad you gave it a full sheet because it makes an impact. Did you decide about the swimmer? I don’t think you need it shape-wise or subject-wise but if you put it in I’d be curious to see. I watched the video and even though your work is different from her style it’s always great to pick up inspiration from others. Terri’s right about the Chagall vibe too! I really hope there’s another one in the works!

This is exceptional! Wow, John, I’m so glad you gave it a full sheet because it makes an impact. Did you decide about the swimmer? I don’t think you need it shape-wise or subject-wise but if you put it in I’d be curious to see. I watched the video and even though your work is different from her style it’s always great to pick up inspiration from others. Terri’s right about the Chagall vibe too! I really hope there’s another one in the works!

Thanks Donna. Funny thing is that the full sheet was a mistake. I thought she was using one but she's using a half. The swimmer idea is on hold. I do like the idea of subtle human presence though I think.

Yeah, watching how she works reminded me about how watercolors can work. And just seeing the bravery she shows by diving into it helped me do the same. Enough of it also meshed with how I've painted before so that helped.

I'm not sure about the Chagall thing. Needs a bull head in there somewhere or something. :) I think I see a little Kandinsky but it's hard not to see him in any kind of abstract.

1721176192067.png

Romantic landscape​

Wassily Kandinsky

1911;

Yes working on another one. Thanks again and glad you like it.

Back