How to clean bug splatter off an unfinished oil painting?

16ga

So. I found a dark glob on one of my unfinished paintings.
20230914_110832.jpg

After look around I discoverer this guy laying on the floor dead below the painting....
20230914_112055.jpg

I'm assuming they're connected. So now how do I clean the painting up while doing the least amount of damage to the paint under it?
Would it have any effect on the painting if I just painted over it?

It figures that the bug chose a light area to make a dark spot. Would it hurt to try water on a soft rag or a q-tip? Maybe try not to rub it too much. Even if it leaves a stain it’s probably better to try to remove most of it before repainting but hopefully it won’t come to that.

I think it's worth trying a paste of sodium bicarbonate (baking soda, NOT baking powder!) plus water. Apply the paste and leave it for 15 minutes, while misting it with pure water to keep the paste from drying out. Then just irrigate with lots of water to rinse the paste away without scrubbing it and disturbing the soft paint.

On a lighter note: my art critic parrot once did a potty on a painting that was lying on the work table, whlie I was leaning over it and she was sitting on my shoulder. The sodium bicarbonate paste cleaned it off.

Bug "stuff" is usually watersoluble, so I like DonnaT's solution of using just plain water, and a Q-Tip in an almost microscopic manner to carefully dissolve, and remove the bug residue.

Thanks everyone. I'll give it a try later today and report back.

Its been a chaotic week.
I used water and a small one of those cheap plasticish brushes on kids sets. it seems to have all come off.
I really didn't expect water to do the job.

Back