help drape a skirt over this drawing

ntl

Contributing Member
Help me draw the fold lines for an ankle length skirt on this female. The woman is jumping, one leg raised, arms upstretched. The skirt is long, soft, light weight material, and billowing. I am not satisfied with any of my sketches. I don't know if the skirt/hem lines are even close to what they would be. Thanks.

thumbnail_IMG_7061.jpg

If you don't have someone to model, you might find a photo. You could drape a sheet or something soft over the arm of a stuffed chair?? I like the gesture so far.

This is my go to resource when trying to create clothing folds

I find that references can be great for cloth, but they often need adjusting to look good for the illustration. I went ahead and just learned the science behind it to draw it the way I want while still having it look realistic.

It is very hard to do these things without a reference of some kind. If you can get a model or find something like it online, it would help tremendously.

First, thanks to you all.
Jo, I thought about that, but my imagination couldn't wrap itself around the setting up of such a display.
Tampaints, thanks for the suggestion. I've watched a few videos as a result. My head is still in a fog.
Arty, I have looked and looked googling various words, and nothing appropriate shows up.
Sno, these are wonderful, and greatly appreciated. I've looked at the adorkastock sites, and expect to be able to use it. I haven't yet found the woman in white. Would you please post the url?
Where did you find those drawings? -Or are they yours? The woman in white is luscious!
The flowing robe of the statue is kind of what I had in mind, but it felt off.
My DD offered to pose for me, and did this afternoon. I was amazed by the lines. I hope to get back to my painting this week. I will post it when I'm "done".

Again, thanks to you all.

Sno, these are wonderful, and greatly appreciated. I've looked at the adorkastock sites, and expect to be able to use it. I haven't yet found the woman in white. Would you please post the url?
Where did you find those drawings? -Or are they yours? The woman in white is luscious!
The flowing robe of the statue is kind of what I had in mind, but it felt off.
Oh gosh ntl, I probably couldn't even find them again myself. None are mine, they all came from searches. I used all sorts of search phrases. Draping a figure, draping fabric, drawing draped fabric, drawing a skirt draped on a figure. On and on. :giggle: Edit: Here is where it comes from. It is a free pack but not sure how it works. I think you can just put in 0 amount and have it sent to your email but you will have to create an account.

Last edited:
Reactions: ntl
Sno, the url didn't show up. Can you please post it again? And thanks!

Back